Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tinning??

bddpaux

Nov 19, 2011
Was wondering if someone might provide a bit of a comment on when/why to use tinning compound:D.....is it only used on very thin gauge wire??

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Usually on dirty or old metals that you want to solder to, for almost all other applications in electronics normal flux cored solder works just fine, or a dip in flux and then solder if you don't use flux core solder...

Raul

Sep 25, 2012
Was wondering if someone might provide a bit of a comment on when/why to use tinning compound:D.....is it only used on very thin gauge wire??

Inter alia, It is used in auto body work to prepare the base metal for lead.

I've used rosin core solder for most of my soldering even on fairly oxidized wire with good results.

bddpaux

Nov 19, 2011
Small add-on: is soldering "paste" a different animal entirely??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
"soldering paste" : It is typically a name given to flux in a paste form.

However I've also seen people use it when they mean "solder paste" which is a completely different beast.

"Solder paste" is a suspension of small balls of solder in flux. When heated the flux activates, then the balls melt, and a joint is formed.

In this respect, solder paste is like rosin cored solder inside out, Instead of the solder containing the flux, this is the flux containing the solder.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I bought a pot of LA-CO regular soldering flux paste at a radio rally. It seems to work very well but the ingredients would appear to be corrosive. I emailed the makers to see if it would be suitable for electronic work but they have not condescended to reply.

I think this should be restricted to soldering where the flux can be washed off.