Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TORQUE DETERMINATION

zms

Apr 29, 2016
HI all,

I am new here.

First of all, sorry guys for posting something which is irrelevant to this section, but yet i think this was the closest.

what i want to know is how do we experimentally determine, the maximum torque offered by a ceiling fan motor, (the type in which the motor body rotates along with the blades).

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The torque generated will be that demanded by the fan, the motor should be designed to provide this with ease. The torque will be proportional to the square of the speed.

The way to measure the toque is to mount the motor on a bearing so that the motor body can rotate, limit the rotation with a radius rod and tie a bit of string to it, measure the tension in the string.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
HI all,

I am new here.

First of all, sorry guys for posting something which is irrelevant to this section, but yet i think this was the closest.

what i want to know is how do we experimentally determine, the maximum torque offered by a ceiling fan motor, (the type in which the motor body rotates along with the blades).

At what speed? Starting or max rpm? You should Google for a Prony brake. That's the proper way to measure torque and everything else that rotates.

Ratch

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Small ceiling fan motors are usually shaded pole motors and do not have that much torque.
A crude way would be to remove the fan and measure the current, replace the fan and re-measure
The torque is directly proportional to current.
But other factors make this an imprecise method, especially for this type of motor.
M.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Ceiling fan motors are capacitor start/run not shaded pole.
Very low torque.

zms

Apr 29, 2016
yeah i am talking about the capacitor-start-capacitor-run types.
the ones which are known as industrial fans (without light kits)