Maker Pro
Maker Pro

toshiba 50871 rptv rainbow at top and bottom..

Scott5150

Apr 15, 2011
What the devil is wrong with this tv, I am trying to repair it for a disabled friend with limited monies for repairing..any help is greatly appreciated

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you could post a picture?

Scott5150

Apr 15, 2011
This tv isnt at my home,, also the owner has no internet....just wondering if any one has identified this problem already, i realize its a shot in the dark....

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Perhaps the TV has been placed near a magnet, has it been moved or have speakers been placed nearby?

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
Maybe see if someone replaced the speakers in the cabinet with ones that were a little above spec... or someone removed the magnetic shielding. Anything that has to do with something that is magnetic, close to the CRT (in your case a projection lens assembly) is going to have that strange rainbow effect.

If there are other things going on, like for example, if when the screen gets really bright the entire screen kinda shrinks down... thats a different story.

Let us know if there are any other symptoms... check around for magnets... and be careful! There's quite a bit of voltage in there, even when the set is off and unplugged from the mains (I'm sure you know, but its good to re-iterate).

There are quite a few skilled technicians on this board... and if you can give any of them a better idea whats going on, by posting pictures, or trying to see if you can get any other symptoms to come out, it will probably be beneficial in the end.

Good luck!
Matty-

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Perhaps the TV has been placed near a magnet, has it been moved or have speakers been placed nearby?

that would be valid for a CRT type TV.

A rear projection TV/monitor is going to have a projector in it, with either the 3 LCD panel type system or the DLP type system.

You need to get into the projector and separate it from the rest of the system so you can fire it up on the workbench on its own. First a good clean out of dust etc, that always collects in those units. Secondly if its the LCD Panel type projector, they use 3 panels to produce the 3 colours Red Green And Blue these small ~ 1inch sqr panels are prone to going off colour ( damaged) with excess heat, usually caused by the arformentioned dust buildup.
Seen this so so often, the only repair is to replace the panels and do a colour realignment.

Anyway, you must have a camera ;) and you obviously have internet, so do some pics and post them for us all to see

cheers
Dave