Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Toshiba VCR Blown Fuse

crochetgirl

Oct 19, 2018
Toshiba Model M774 VCR stopped working. Opened case and immediately noticed a blown fuse. The fuse is a 125V/1.25A,on the mother board is says F801 next to the fuse information and where the fuse would clamp in. The fuse is 3/4" long and 3/16" wide.
Firstly I am unable to locate that size fuse. I found a 125V/1.0A fuse and was wondering if that would work. I also found a 250V/1.0 fuse as well.
THEN I found your forum and it said if the fuse is black (inside the glass) there is another situation that is dangerous. The board and all the components look good. I am NOT a technician just brave enough to open something and tinker.
I live in a very small town and there are NO electronic repair places. So if the fuse will not fix my VCR then I'm sunk. I don't want to cause a fire, so please advise.
Thank you.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The fuze could be the common 20 * 5 mm size.
If the fuze is blown, something else is likely to be faulty.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Probably a blown diode or transistor in the power supply circuit.

Yes replacing the fuse is not likely to be the end of it, most likely will either allow a shorting component to suffer further damage or just blow again. It is not likely to cause a fire unless you do something weird like shove a pile of sawdust inside. ;) It might make a little smoke smell when the damage component gets power again but that's all.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Just don't use a fuse that is OVER rated i.e. no more than the recommended 1.25A. The voltage rating is likely to be irrelevant.

If the fuse blows again then you'll need professional help to get it fixed unless you're prepared to wield a soldering iron and test meter.....