Maker Pro
Maker Pro

touch sensitive wire?

baldie_chick

Jan 15, 2014
I'm wondering if there is any way to make a touch-sensitive wire? Please be gentle as I'm not knowledgeable about electronics - I'm actually a behavioural researcher trying to think up a way to set up an experiment involving an 'obstacle course' of dangling wires that detect when touched.... Please note that it wouldn't be possible to attach a wire to the person in this case. Thanks for your advice!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The cheapest way I can think of is modification of a proximity sensor.
There are a large number of types available.
Google proximity sensors, see if there's something you think might do what you want,
then ask here if you need help fabricating your experiment.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
What will the wires be touched by?

It's pretty easy to detect the voltage that is coupled into a wire, or the sudden increase in capacitance, when it is is touched by something conductive (or partly conductive) such as a person's skin. The person doesn't have to be connected directly to something, although it would help if they weren't wearing shoes.

Another way would be using vibration sensors (see www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/vibration-sensors) attached to the tops of the wires.

Do you need to detect WHICH wire was touched? Or just detect when ANY wire is touched?

Give us some more information about your requirements; we might be able to suggest some other ideas.