Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transfering video using light

Marya_ak

Mar 18, 2023
Hi

I need to build a system to transfer video using light .

Could anyone help me ?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The question is too general so I'll ask you a question would this perhaps be for CCTV.Are you looking for a security analogue composite video transmission on a dedicated fibre optic cable. a real-time, full frame rate, excellent quality and long distance optical transmission can be achieved even with multiplexed video channels including subchannels for audio, data and I/O signaling. In addition some enhanced systems do support a Fast Ethernet bridging allowing a complimentary tunneling of additional IP/Ethernet services.
Sorry about that we had to start somewhere. :)

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Start google search "SERDES".....

In terminology your "physical" layer is the optical part, the link layer is the
translation of analog video to digital and back again, see attached.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Marya_ak

Mar 18, 2023
Thank you all

I have measurments course project and our supervisor suggest us to search about two projects and if we can build them practically.

1.build a system like wifi router but instead of using radio signal we should use light signal.
Suggested distance between light source like led light and light reciever 1m to 2m . and without using fiber between two sides.

2. Build a system to transfer video wirelessly between two devices using light signal .
Suggested distance between light source like led light and light reciever 20 cm to 100cm ,and without using fiber between two sides.
And we need to build a circuts for two sides .not use ready made modules or boards.

I dont have a lot of hardware design experience therefore i need a help if we can build such systems practically as a hardware components with specifications needed are available . And which of the two suggested projects requires less time to complete and its design circuits easier.

We have two months to complete the project.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I have measurments course project
How is this not homework? And a two-month deadline for results? I would go with Option 2.

I would first try to use NTSC or PAL video (if you have it) to modulate a laser-diode light source. Use a fast silicon PiN photo-detector or a photomultiplier tube to receive the laser light and demodulate it to recover the NTSC or PAL video. Or, if RGB analog video is your source, try using three laser-diodes modulated with red, green, and blue video. The main problem will be choosing a modulation method. Laser diodes can be amplitude modulated with Kerr cells, or perhaps by varying the excitation current applied to the laser diodes.

The laser diodes can also be pulse-width modulated, which lends itself to digital video, although for video this would require a ten megahertz or larger pulse repetition rate (Nyquist criterion) to sample the video data stream for NTSC or PAL video, and higher sampling rates for high-definition (HD) video. HD video generally means you have to digitize the video to allow digital transmission and error-correction, complicating the problem. I would try the analog video approach first before jumping into the rabbit hole leading to digital video. But if you tell us how you plan to proceed, I am sure someone here will be able to offer some help. Heck, you may not even need color video! What a simplification that would be!

You will also need optical components to focus the laser light emissions onto the optical detector(s).

This is NOT a project for beginners. And two months seems (to me) to be an unrealistic time frame to design, build, and test your project, especially since you are forbidden from using commercial off-the-shelf modules. But I am gonna wish you luck, because having copious amounts of good luck is the only way you could possibly finish this project in sixty days, unless you have a genius team of five or six high-achievement learners who know how to work together to get things done. This is a hobbyist forum, but there are a few members here that are quite capable. Stick around and start a dialog with a few of them.

Can you post a description of the specifications your system must meet? Video bandwidth, video scan parameters, frame rate, etc. will all affect how your design should proceed.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Laser wireless, also known as free space optics is a method of communication that involves using a light source, usually
a laser, to transmit information through space or the atmosphere to a receiver. :)
Video Transmission through Optical Wireless Communication -[mod edit: link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: