Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transformerless audio amplifier

jack121

Jul 11, 2021
Hi Thanks for reading.
I want to build a simple discrete amp with the absolutly lowest number of components possible, preferably a two stage with driver transistor and output transistor, as cheap as possible, i don't want to spend any serious money, just a few bucks.
As power supplies are expensive, do you know of any design that runs off the mains ac 240volts, just a bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors, no transformer.
A cheap and cheerful amp for music reproduction that works and is stable, not concerned about hi-fi sound or super low distortion
Thanks

jack121

Jul 11, 2021
Thanks! That is good but then it adds weight and bulk onto a design that i want to be simple and light.
Is a transformerless amp possible? That's the question.
If a transformless amplifier is not possible then that's fine. No offence intended to anyone
Thanks for your time

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The shown powersupplies are not bulky, they do not have a large transformer, as they are switch mode powersupplies.
They are like the powersupplies used in a PC.
Also a powerbrick from a laptop can be used.
That will supply you with 19 Volts.

Bertus

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What sort of power output?
Direct mains powered? Absolutely not. As above, the safety issue is critical here.
Discrete components or integrated? You seem to indicate discrete (for some reason).
There are kits and ready-made units that foot the bill (a few £) but none 'mains powered'.