Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TRANSISTOR SELECTION

Angus

Jul 4, 2014
Hello,

For the circuit attached - when I close the contact (on the left of the diagram) 50 milli-amps flows. I wanted to use these 50 milli-amps as the base current for a transistor - so as to open up a 12V circuit to power a 12V LED - so that when the contact is closed - it lights up the LED ie. use the transistor as an ON/ OFF switch.

Is this circuit logical - should it work?

If so what would be the resistor value and transistor type/ model.

I've mucked around with various transistors that I thought should work - no luck.

Any help guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
Angus

Attachments

• TANSISTOR FOR LED SWITCH.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 68

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
269533-1.png
Your circuit is not clear. Specifically it's not clear where and how the current flows in the switch.

Normally, a switch is connected between a voltage source and a load of some kind. When the switch is open, no voltage is applied across the load. When the switch closes, the circuit is complete, and the voltage souce is connected to the load. Current flows from the voltage source, through the switch, through the load, and back to the voltage source.

You need to show this part of the switch. We need to know what part of the existing circuit has the voltage applied across it when the switch closes. Then, adding an LED may be as simple as connecting the LED, with a "current limiting" resistor in series with it, across the load that receives power when the switch closes.

Can you redraw the circuit showing the connections to and from the switch, and how they relate to the "EARTH" and "+VE 12V" connection pointss you've drawn.

Attachments

• 269533-1.png
    269533-1.png
    7 KB · Views: 114

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In addition to that:
  • There is no indication that anything is limiting the current through the LED (apart from base current and transistor gain) See here for more information.
  • You normally place the load connected to the collector in switching applications. See here for more information.

Angus

Jul 4, 2014
View attachment 14285
Your circuit is not clear. Specifically it's not clear where and how the current flows in the switch.

Normally, a switch is connected between a voltage source and a load of some kind. When the switch is open, no voltage is applied across the load. When the switch closes, the circuit is complete, and the voltage souce is connected to the load. Current flows from the voltage source, through the switch, through the load, and back to the voltage source.

You need to show this part of the switch. We need to know what part of the existing circuit has the voltage applied across it when the switch closes. Then, adding an LED may be as simple as connecting the LED, with a "current limiting" resistor in series with it, across the load that receives power when the switch closes.

Can you redraw the circuit showing the connections to and from the switch, and how they relate to the "EARTH" and "+VE 12V" connection pointss you've drawn.
View attachment 14285

Thanks Kris - your advice is very appreciated.

I'm actually rethinking the circuit and will get back to you soon.

Angus

Angus

Jul 4, 2014
Hello - after a rethink - do you think the attached circuit would work?

If so - what would be the transistor and resistor values be?

The idea is - a manual momentary switch is pushed - this triggers a 12V LED to light up and also merely to provide continuity over the 'button' contacts that would trigger the LED controller into the next color or mode (or whatever).

Sorry if I'm being a pest.

Thanks - Angus

upload_2014-7-26_23-17-9.png

Attachments

• TRANSISTOR PROBLEMS.pdf
    197.9 KB · Views: 59

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Your switch is shorting out your supply. Re-draw the circuit, would it also be possible to change the background colour to white.
Thanks
Adam

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In addition to that, see here. (really this time, I'm serious)

And in addition to when I made these comments the first time, your transistor just sitting out there connected to a button will likely do nothing at all.

Is the power supply for this the same as the power supply to that controller with the button? If so, that's a good start, but you need to determine (and show us) how that switch is connected first before we can advise how to actuate it using a transistor.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Your switch is shorting out your supply. Re-draw the circuit, would it also be possible to change the background colour to white.
Thanks
Adam
Which has no effect since the power supply is already shorted by the second vertical wire from the left.

Bob