Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transmitter/receiver using a Reed switch

MikeDud

Aug 5, 2020
Hi all,
I would like make some kind of wireless electronic circuit that displays whether a Reed switch is NO/NC.
I want to know whether or not my garage doors (2 of them) are up or down from inside of the house, using an LED display. I’d like to be able to look at the display box, and see either a green LED lit up for closed, or red LED for open.

I have a rear garage door that stays open much of the time. I accidentally let my husky out into the backyard, forgetting that the front door was up. She ran off and that is NOT a good thing!! We got her back, thank God, but I would like to have something mounted at the back door showing me the positions of the two front doors.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mike

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I would think a cheap wireless shed alarm would do what you want.
Reed door contacts and cordless control box in the house. Obviously this would depend on distance.

There are a multitude of cheap RF transmitter modules online too. Plenty of relay modules as well.

I would look for an off the shelf wireless alarm with two or more zones.

Martin

MikeDud

Aug 5, 2020
I would think a cheap wireless shed alarm would do what you want.
Reed door contacts and cordless control box in the house. Obviously this would depend on distance.

There are a multitude of cheap RF transmitter modules online too. Plenty of relay modules as well.

I would look for an off the shelf wireless alarm with two or more zones.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I’ve looked into many shed alarms, bit from what I see they mostly just act as a burglar alarm, rather than display the open or closed position of the door. Did you have one in mind that fitted my need?

Thanks,
Mike

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I didn’t have one in mind, was just thinking aloud for simplicity.
But you can easily make a hardwired indicator with minimal parts and without electronic experience.
The absolute easiest and cheapest would be an old phone charger, a SPDT micro/roller switch, two LEDs with resistors and some wire.
Or of course an old 9V / 12V Walwart/adaptor. Only difference is the resistors will be a different value. You can buy prewired LEDs with resistor.
How about you tell us what you are capable of making and what distance you are refering to. Are doors ‘up and over’, two doors open out, electric? etc.
You can keep it simple or get very complicated with RF, WIFI , Alexa/smart to open and close doors.
The latter requires programming experience.

Martin

MikeDud

Aug 5, 2020
I didn’t have one in mind, was just thinking aloud for simplicity.
But you can easily make a hardwired indicator with minimal parts and without electronic experience.
The absolute easiest and cheapest would be an old phone charger, a SPDT micro/roller switch, two LEDs with resistors and some wire.
Or of course an old 9V / 12V Walwart/adaptor. Only difference is the resistors will be a different value. You can buy prewired LEDs with resistor.
How about you tell us what you are capable of making and what distance you are refering to. Are doors ‘up and over’, two doors open out, electric? etc.
You can keep it simple or get very complicated with RF, WIFI , Alexa/smart to open and close doors.
The latter requires programming experience.

Martin

I have light electronic experience. I have lots of capacitors, resistors, 555 timers, etc,etc, and have built many small projects.

However, I found exactly what I’m looking for. It’s a Skylink Alarm receiver, coupled with two wireless garage door transmitters. Each door lights a red LED if it is up. No LED if down. Perfect!! $70 on eBay including sh.

https://www.skylinkhome.com/products/alert-alarm-system

Thanks for your help, Martin!!