Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Treadmill boards

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
This thread is meant to document information about treadmill boards. Boards are not all the same, but they function very similarly. I believe understand a generic board, other boards can be better understood and documented.

I envision that one day, a list of all known boards with pictures, diagram, treadmill models and explanation of each area of the boards are provided.

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
A general treadmill electronics include a board that powers a variable speed DC motor, inclined/declined motor, output speed, has heart beat sensor, various programs or treadmill belt motor power profiles, charts/summary of time run, calories counters.

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
For the inputs, there is an on-reset/off switch, the power supply (usually 120 volt AC), main motor heat sensor, magnetic key input (safety lock key), up/down for incline motor, incline/decline step motor's counter (inputs), program selectors (can be up/down or number), speed selectors, start and stop buttons.

Output usually is a display (led grid), main motor output voltage, incline/decline step motor power, fan.

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
As the 120 volt power is plugged in, on/off switch is turned on, safety key is in, the main board and IO boards are turned on. The main board location is usually near the motor at the bottom, the IO boards for receiving input/display output is at the console right in front of the user.

The above circuit is rather simple. From my observation, an overheat sensor in the main motor would close the circuit in additions to other physically switches (on/off, safety).

The 120 volts must then be converted into DC power for two purposes at least.

1. To drive the electronics board
2. To send power out to the motors.

I see there are both coil transformer and electronics transformer (diode, etc) for doing the jobs. I suspect the former is used to drive the board, with constant DC output voltage, while the diode/electronics transformer provides variable DC output, which is controlled by the board.

The former is very easily diagnosed, and mostly not the failure point of the system.

The later is more prone to failure.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Once you have some specific information on at least one manufacturer and model, you could create a user-submitted resource on this subject. Photos would be needed. There have been several threads on treadmills here in the past which will contain photos, links, and other information. If this interests you, please consider writing up a resource for us.

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
One important component of DC supply is converting the AC source into DC. Usually, a cheap way would be using a rectifier. A bridge rectifier can be had by having a single components, or 4 diodes. This turns the signal into one way signal, not alternating. However, to smooth it out, meaning making it more constant, a large capacitor is used, or a large capacitor and a large inductor is used (coil around iron core).

There must be some circuit to control the level of output voltage. It maybe accomplished by an input control (counter?) and an amplifier. However, I am just guessing here.

Using the above info, we'll be able to identify which parts of the board is handing this function.

elboard

Aug 19, 2014
The output power level is controlled by a PWM. Basically instead of raise/lower the voltage, it turns off the power very briefly. How often it turns on/off (frequency), and for how long (width) determine the output power.