Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triac question

pcp

Jan 8, 2015
I built a 4 channel running light kit made by Velleman, my question is; will voltage run backwards through the TIC-225M triacs when that circuit is off ? When circuit one is off, I would like to light the lights again with circuit 4. If it would harm the controller, is there a way I can make something to prevent 115v AC from flowing backwards? Thanks for any help

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
It would help if you specified exactly which Velleman "4 channel running light kit" you are using. As far as I can determine, the four channels are independent in the sense that a lamp load on one channel has no effect on the other channels, whether the other channels are on or off.

As for voltage running backwards through the TIC-225M... these are Triacs and alternating current always "runs backwards and forwards" through them when they are conducting. That is the nature of AC. If the Triac is not conducting, then it behaves as an open circuit.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

You haven't given us enough information to give you a clear answer.

Can you tell us the part number of the kit and/or post a link to the page?

Can you find a picture or diagram of the kit and edit it to show how you want to connect it, and upload that, so we know what you want to do?

pcp

Jan 8, 2015
It would help if you specified exactly which Velleman "4 channel running light kit" you are using. As far as I can determine, the four channels are independent in the sense that a lamp load on one channel has no effect on the other channels, whether the other channels are on or off.

As for voltage running backwards through the TIC-225M... these are Triacs and alternating current always "runs backwards and forwards" through them when they are conducting. That is the nature of AC. If the Triac is not conducting, then it behaves as an open circuit.
Thanks for the quick answer, It's Velleman kit # K8032.... Craig

pcp

Jan 8, 2015
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

You haven't given us enough information to give you a clear answer.

Can you tell us the part number of the kit and/or post a link to the page?

Can you find a picture or diagram of the kit and edit it to show how you want to connect it, and upload that, so we know what you want to do?
Thanks for reply, It's Velleman Kit #K8032 ... Craig

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
OK, here's the schematic:

Velleman K8032 schematic.png
You haven't shown what you want to do with it, but when this circuit is powered off, the triacs will have no effect, and the bulbs can be powered through an independent path.

pcp

Jan 8, 2015
I think you answered my question, what I want to do is, circuit 1 will light a red string of lights, circuit 2 will light blue, circuit 3 will light white and circuit 4 will light the red, blue and white lights that are connected to circuits 1,2 and 3. Would this be ok. Thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
what I want to do is, circuit 1 will light a red string of lights, circuit 2 will light blue, circuit 3 will light white and circuit 4 will light the red, blue and white lights that are connected to circuits 1,2 and 3.
As I said in post #3: