Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triac Question

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
Hi all. I have sourced a particular Triac (BTA800-600C) from two different places. When I put each of them separately into a Component Tester, I am getting two different readings. The components have the same component number markings on them and they both appear to be manufactured by the same company (ST Micro), but the printing is obviously a little different.

In the pictures, there is one on the left and one on the right. My thoughts are, based on the better printing, that the one on the right would be the quality component. But if you look at the picture where that one is in the tester, it only shows it as only being a resistor. That doesn't look right to me. The other one (on the left), shows up as a BJT NPN Transistor, which would seem more appropriate, that is if the tester isn't able to distinguish it as a Triac. I don't know what a Triac is supposed to look like on one of those testers though. I would like to know which is the more probable good component before I risk installing it. The original one is bad, so I can't compare it to that one.

Can anyone help me out please, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• Left and Right Away.jpg
    Left and Right Away.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Left and Right Close (1).jpg
    Left and Right Close (1).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 14
  • One on the Left.jpg
    One on the Left.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
  • One on the Right.jpg
    One on the Right.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Are you sure you have it in the correct socket on the tester?
Mine (different triac but) show as thyristors with the appropriate symbol and correct terminal markings.

Found this image on the web......... mine comes up same as this

Attachments

• Triac.jpg
    Triac.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
hello

it could well be that the left one is a chinese counterfit. the surface looks scraped and bad quality printing on it.

bertus

Attachments

• methods_detection_counterfeit_components_smta.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 1

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
Are you sure you have it in the correct socket on the tester?
Mine (different triac but) show as thyristors with the appropriate symbol and correct terminal markings.

Found this image on the web......... mine comes up same as this
Thanks for the reply. Yes. I have each of them in the same sockets during the testing. They have to be placed in the tester I have the way they are to get a reading. Any other socket placement gives me an "unknown or damaged part" on the display. You can see the three sockets I am using in one of the pictures. The tester you have shown is different than mine. Mine might not have the capability of testing Triacs though.

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
hello

it could well be that the left one is a chinese counterfit. the surface looks scraped and bad quality printing on it.

bertus
Thanks, Bertus, for the article. There are some "red flags" as shown in the article. Because of that, I have ordered another set of components from a different, and hopefully more reputable, place. I'll see how those test out when they get here.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Did a quick search and that particular tester (mine is slightly different, no encoder) can give you weird readings on triacs.
Something to do with the available gate current. Mine works fine though.

....around 18:40

Mine is this one ......

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
Did a quick search and that particular tester (mine is slightly different, no encoder) can give you weird readings on triacs.
Something to do with the available gate current. Mine works fine though.

....around 18:40

Mine is this one ......
Thanks again for spending so much time on this. I had some other Triacs available to test with my tester. BT136 and BT134. Oddly, my tester had no problem identifying them as Triacs. See the pics. Unless the BTA08-600C is quite different in construction, that doesn't make sense. That is unless all of the ones I have are fake. The new ones are on the way. I will wait for them to get here and see what happens. I'll be back with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Unless the BTA08-600C is quite different in construction, that doesn't make sense.
If you watched the first video, especially the time noted, it would.

"Something to do with the available gate current" ....did you see this time..??

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
If you watched the first video, especially the time noted, it would.

"Something to do with the available gate current" ....did you see this time..??
Yes. Thank you. I watched it the first time and heard him talking about testing a "thyristor" and the problems associated with testing one. Directly after that, in the video, he tests a Triac, and gets a proper reading on the tester, just like I did. After reading about Thyristors and Triacs, I do see some similarities in the components, but I also noted differences. If my BTA08-600C is a Triac and not a Thyristor, it should show up on the tester as a Triac, just like my others did. Anyway, the new BTA08-600C's are on the way. I'll be back to let everyone know what they look like on the tester when they get here. The learning process is never-ending here. That is a good thing.:)

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
I received the new Triacs today and tested them in the same tester as before. This time, the very same component number Triac (BTA08-600C), but sourced from a different vendor, tests out as a Triac. See the pic. The new one is on the left in the pic with the three I now have. My next step will be in installing one of the new ones into a ceiling fan receiver I have also inquired about on this board in a separate thread, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work. I'll see how it goes. The outcome will be provided in a couple of days. In the meantime, thanks again for everyone's input and guidance.

Attachments

• Three Triacs.jpg
    Three Triacs.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Reading as Triac.jpg
    Reading as Triac.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
There certainly is no shortage of fake components on the market. To be fair, not necessarily fake, but desoldered from used boards and sold as new. Obviously not checked and posted.
But fakes are a big deal too.

Martin

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
All of the ones I have have not been de-soldered. Unless when they installed them, they left all of the legs the same size as a new one, but there is no evidence of any solder material on the legs. The odd thing about the pieces I sourced prior to this last time, is they all had good buyer ratings from those that show as buyers. I realize, however, that can be faked as well, depending on the seller.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Obviously the triac that is giving you a bad reading is faulty. Those are the ones I like to test the voltages on... Smoke, too much voltage... No smoke, open connection or fatal error.