Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triac Question

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
$15
Which browser do you use? Have you tried another browser?

Or maybe it's the system language? My Windows uses, of course, German, so the $ sign is not recognized as the currency symbol.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
And one more try with yet another change in the system settings (also related to region, but another app): [imath]15 and[/imath]400 make $415
Yup, that seems to be the culprit. With these settings the same happens to me:
1705339753941.png

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Back to German: $15
[imath]15 and[/imath]400

It's getting more complicated than thought: $15 works without problems.
[imath]15 and[/imath]400 shows up as inline math... where it should show as
$15 and
$400. (intentionally in separate paragraphs)
It seems the interpreter handles a single $ sign different
than two subsequent $ signs when they apper in one paragraph.

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
The capacitor readings are within 10% and probably better than the OEM spec anyway. As for the fact that they are electrolytics that's even less of an issue. No one I know uses or requires greater accuracy for electrolytics than the 10% rule. ISTR the standard spec for electro's as being +10 to -25% as far as value is concerned.

Or do you prefer test meters that match the marked values on the components rather than their ACTUAL values?

TBH I only use that type of tester for <10uF devices anyway or, for values >10uF, just to test for ESR, not value. I've recently used mine to test air-spaced variable capacitors and found it to be very accurate indeed (5pf-400pF range).

Anyway, 15 bucks versus 400 bucks+ ??? What do you expect?

MODS - can we fix the REALLY ANNOYING issue of typing a 'dollar' sign (that always turns into a 'math' function that practically no one uses? Grrrr...
Thanks for the input, Kellys_eye. I suppose I should have mentioned the LCR-TC2 was different (always lower) than all of my other test equipment units. Three other historically reliable digital multimeters and one component tester (a pic of it is above in the first post). I realize the results on the examples were within specs, and for what I usually work on +-20% for the caps I use is acceptable, however, when I am troubleshooting E caps, lower values than indicated are usually a sign of failure, decreased performance or impending failure. Since caps are usually inexpensive and usually easily sourced, that is when the motivation to replace them kicks in. The LCR-TC2 was ALWAYS giving me a lower value than the rated or listed value, even on a multitude of brand name and new e-caps.

I realize it may have just been an adjustment setting, but after opening up the unit I had, there was no way to make them. Additionally, after reading many other comments about the performance I was experiencing with the same model tester, as well as an unmarked main IC on the PCB, I decided I may have received a counterfeit unit, which was another reason for the return. I rely more on ESR values than farad ratings now anyway, but will still take them (farad readings) into account.

So in all actuality, I wanted that unit to work, especially when one of you guys makes a recommendation for something like that. I do still want another one like that, just because I thought it was 'cool" too, with the colored display and the inexpensive price tag. By the way, I ordered mine from China. I may have better luck elsewhere, but like I said, I have what I need already anyway.

By the way, thanks, guys, for what you all do for this site. Immensley helpful.

One other thing. There is quite a bit of truth in this saying, and it applies here: "A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two, is never sure." I have too many watches. :cool: