Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tripp Lite Smart1050 UPS Repair

TheWood72

Dec 1, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have a Tripp Lite Smart1050 UPS that stopped working last week. We had a power outage and it looks like the batteries were dead into it. I think that it might have caused the UPS go get into a situation where it blew up part of its circuitry. I replaced the batteries and most of it now works:
- Light and operations seems to be working properly
- When on batteries, the unit properly power its outlets
- The charging circuit seems to work fine as well since I unplugged the unit and put a load on it, completely drained the batteries, plugged it back in and it recharged them

What does not work:
- When the unit is plugged-in (and I think it charges the battery but I have to make sure of that) there is NO power delivered to the AC outlet of the unit

So there seems to be a part of the AC bypass circuitry that is toasted. I have some pictures of what is suspicious on the board but I am not too sure on how to fix this or what to troubleshoot to be able to replace what is wrong with it.

R92 seems to have overheated and the board shows some sigh of it ;). C16 is in bad shape as well.
1669924501541.png

Last edited:

TheWood72

Dec 1, 2022
Here is a side view, C16 is shredding. I have no way of knowing what size capacitor to replace it with :S
1669924665865.png

Here is another view, one side of the resistor need a wire since the PCB looks damaged and there is no continuity. The diode might be damaged as well but I am not sure how to test this as well as what to replace it with.
1669924749988.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: