Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Troubleshooting a Generac 7500 XLT

cutnshoot84

Sep 19, 2013
I was given an electric start 7500 Generac xlt and I cant get any A//C output from any of the outputs on the front panel. The windings look like they have gotten hot but I cant see any place where the wire was burnt in half. I have looked for the last week trying to get help using a DVOM to check the brushes, stator, windings and the EVR ( volt regulator ) .
I was hoping someone on here might have access to schematic walk me thru what wires I need to probe , and what readings I get , to find the problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robbie

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Evening Robbie,
Usually you will not find a wire burnt in half. What will happen if to much load is placed on the generator is that the insulation on the wire will break down due to excessive heat and the wire becomes bare and will ground to the laminations on the armature or and the stator. Using a ohm meter any wire on stator or armature wires or bars to ground is a short. If you can see the commutator (copper bars) and they are a purplish blue color the armature is pretty much probably toast, A lot of times the soldier joint on the copper bars loose there connection because of the heat that was generated and the armature slings it soldier out of the joint. The best way to test the armature is with a growler, But you also can check each bar to ground with a ohm meter and see if you get a reading. A zero reading = ground. Depends on type of wind on the armature but you can check each coil with a ohm meter. The armature will have to be removed to do this and you will have to look at the wire connected to each copper bar and you can see how the spacing is on the coils.

John