Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trying to Trick my A/C Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
Hello,

I have a window A/C unit that I need to get the room to 60 degrees but the unit will only allow me to set it to 64. I am trying to control the temp by using an Inkbird temperature controller that turns the A/C unit off and on via the outlet based on the inkbird's sensor. In an effort to get this to work, I have tried relocation the A/C unit's thermistor and insulate it but the results are inconsistent.

Can anyone tell me if I can provide a set temperature reading on the sensor circuit be removing the thermistor and replacing it with a 9K ohm resistor so that it reads a constant 30C? I got that resistance number from an LG service manual but I'm not sure it is correct either. My main concern is if that sort of circuit will work as long as I get the resistance value correct, or do I need other components in the circuit.

The A/C unit is an LG 15k BTU LW1516ER.ASWAHDP.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Your A/C unit needs an hour or more to self regulate. No external circuitry can circumvent that. Well, without having the full schematic for your unit.
It could also be programmed, so yet another obstacle.

EDIT: yes, a resistor can be used to give a constant but ambient temperature will change too.

Martin

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I doubt very much that a 4kw rac would get your room anywhere near 17 degrees let alone 15.
You see the hurdle..???
No point setting it lower if the physical constaints of the system itself are in place.
No only that but you risk freezing up the fan coil unit.

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
This is a 15k BTU unit. The room is less than 100 sqft.

It can set it to 60F but the area I need at that temp never gets below 64F. The objective is to control the A/C based on a remote sensor and to have more control over that setting.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Yes, I saw what you wrote the first time.....
As I said above............
No point setting it lower if the physical constaints of the system itself are in place.

To put it into terms which you might start to understand, imagine trying to get a 200mm log to start burning and all you have to do it is 1 match, nothing else.

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
Yes, I saw what you wrote the first time.....
As I said above............

To put it into terms which you might start to understand, imagine trying to get a 200mm log to start burning and all you have to do it is 1 match, nothing else.
I don't think you understand the topic. This unit is more than enough to cool this room. It is cutting off, thinking the entire room is at temp, when only part of the room is at temp.

Trying to be a smartass when you don't understand the subject makes you look like a dumbass. Please go be unhelpful somewhere else.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Trying to be a smartass when you don't understand the subject makes you look like a dumbass. Please go be unhelpful somewhere else.
You misplace the 'dumbass' part of your post.

The issue is with circulation - not the AC. If one part of the room isn't at the set temperature (but the rest is) then the cooled air isn't circulating to that 'warm' area - dumbass.

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
Oh yay...another unhelpful troll that thinks he knows more about the overall situation than I do. I came asking about electrical circuits and air temperature not air circulation. Lets stay on topic, wouldn't want you to strain yourself.

If you two master speculators are correct, how is my current method of overriding the thermistor working without modifying the air circulation to the specific area and without the A/C running constantly?

I have the air circulation right where I want it, I just need that air to be the correct temperature. My current method is not reliably keeping the A/C cooling when it should because the thermistor is still reading below 60F in the mornings. I just want the A/C to continuously cool when power is applied so that I can control it with another device via the outlet.

Stop trying to overthink the situation, you're not good at it.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I just want the A/C to continuously cool when power is applied so that I can control it with another device via the outlet.

Well then, connect power directly to the compressor/fan coil/condensor fan.
As you seem to know more than we do, that shouldn't be a problem for you.
Now I know how to achieve that no problem with 50 years of RAC work but we'll let you sort it "cause I'm a dumbass" ...:eek::):)

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
Well then, connect power directly to the compressor/fan coil/condensor fan.
As you seem to know more than we do, that shouldn't be a problem for you.
Now I know how to achieve that no problem with 50 years of RAC work but we'll let you sort it "cause I'm a dumbass" ...:eek::):)
Yet again you divert from the question thinking you know better, or was that just intended to flex your "50 years of RAC work"? If you don't know the answer, you don't have to pipe up with condescension. Why would I modify 3 circuits instead of 1? Are those circuits even accessible from the front of the unit or would I need to open it up further? You supposed solution only creates more questions to be answered.

I do in fact know more about my situation than either of you, as in the air circulation. That is what I said. I'm here asking for assistance because, unlike you, I can admit when I don't have the answer to a question.

If you state, as fact, that a 15k BTU unit is incapable of cooling a 100 sqft room to 60F and then double down on it while I'm staring at it doing just that, you are...in fact...a dumbass. Your claimed years of experience clearly have no bearing on that and make it worse, not better. As if years of experience in a field somehow prevents someone from acting like a dumbass. Brilliant. Please keep demonstrating the opposite. You're doing great.

Now to find the schematic to see if your suggestion was actually useful.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It is cutting off, thinking the entire room is at temp, when only part of the room is at temp.
I repeat - it's a lack of circulation. If the circulation was 'correct' then the overall average room temperature would be higher and the AC would run longer to bring it down to what you require. What's difficult to understand about that?

Put a fan in the far corner of the room - if you want a 'simple' solution that is.

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
I repeat - it's a lack of circulation. If the circulation was 'correct' then the overall average room temperature would be higher and the AC would run longer to bring it down to what you require. What's difficult to understand about that?

Put a fan in the far corner of the room - if you want a 'simple' solution that is.
At least the original troll realized he was wrong enough to try to change the topic in an attempt to save face. You can't even realize when your wrong and want to act like it's everyone else that can't keep up. Wow.

Is this what you two do? Go around on forums where people are asking for help and try to make people feel stupid? Just scrolling through, looking for ways to feel better about yourself. Please, enlighten me, for what other reason would you initiate a conversation in the manner both of you did with me? Why come in and white knight for a guy that came in starting shit? What do you have to gain? Sad.

Try this again, asking about thermistor circuits, not air circulation, not here to play with trolls.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Please show some respect to our well known members.
They are trying to help.

Bertus

MillManD500

Sep 10, 2022
Hello,

Please show some respect to our well known members.
They are trying to help.

Bertus
LMAO. RRRIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!!! Trying to help.

You have to give respect to get it. Your well known members are assholes and your shit mod if you think they are not trolling.

Go ahead and ban me this forum is clearly useless.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I have to admit, I go 50/50 on this thread.
All jokes aside, if you’re getting better cooling in a certain percentage of the room, but not totally, it has to do with the output of the A/C or circulation. It can’t be anything else. Moving a sensor/thermostat to the back of the room would only yield the same results albeit the opposite side.
Unless there is a ‘corner’ of the room that purely circulates it’s own air. That being said, is a circulation issue. Try @kellys_eye idea of a fan in the warmer area first before belittling the idea. But I have to say to you that, asking questions on a forum doesn’t immediately guarantee the correct response. ie: I know this or I know that!. Simply say “I tried this “ or “I tried that”. I’m not having a go or trolling you, be a better person and wait for a response that better suits your questions. Just sayin’.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There is always someone who thinks that there's only one solution to every problem - these are often referred to as 'narrow-minded individuals'. When they compound their narrow-mindedness with gratuitous insults to those who give their free time to offer assistance (even if it's wrong, it's offered in good faith and shouldn't be belittled) it only exposes their self belief in their own superiority as nothing more than a fear of being proven wrong. In this example I kinda think the OP might self-immolate if any of the suggestions that run counter to his perception of 'correct' ever proved right.

Then again, right or wrong, no one needs to be subjected to gratuitous insults and I don't think this thread need extend further to give the OP more space to vent his immaturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.