Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trying to use a Morse Key as a lamp switch

pdanyew

Aug 13, 2012
So, i'm definitely new but i'm hopeful that one or some of you can help me figure this out.
I want to use a morse key - - ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Morse+key )
you know like an amazing wwII morse code key to be the "on" "off" switch for a lamp i'm making. realizing i can't somehow wire 110v ac current to the actual key (due to obvious i still want life on earth hazards), i've come to the conclusion that i need to use some type of integrated circuit; such as some type of flip flop (maybe a d-type) - and use the morse key as the clock and wire that to the IC. i'm unsure how to do this in regards to how this 5v IC can control the output of 110v. if any of you have a better idea of how this can be done, i'm all ears! I'm just trying to make an awesome lamp!

thanks for any direction!

attached is the morse key i'm planning on using (J-37)

-phil

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.47.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.47.31 AM.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 225

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I will recommend this switch yet again...

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/750

Or the low voltage version of that switch... Basically you would use that switch module to drive a relay that will switch the mains voltage...

Take two wires from the 'tapper' and replace the push button switch on the module... Power the module with the appropriate power from a wall wart, 12 Volts would be a good choice, as it opens up your relay options... And then take the 12V output of the module and drive a 110V relay to drive the light, be sure to use a flyback diode on the relay...

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
.... ..
If you use a 12V wall wart, you can use the key to switch a suitable bulb or led with no risk to life.
.-.-.-

pdanyew

Aug 13, 2012
Thank you guys for the suggestions! what i'd ultimately want is it to make it look like there is no d/c involved. (i'd like to plug in a lamp chord to the wall not a d/c plug. i'd like for all the components to be hidden away internally so it looks like a lamp not a contraption. is there any way to convert a/c to d/c (to be controlled by the morse key) and then back into a/c to power the lamp? Thank you for your patience as all this is a pretty steep learning curve for me! thanks!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Coca Cola has given you the solution, why are you asking again?

I would add that a solid state relay would be the right thing to use, since you probably don't want it to click when tunrned on and off.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Thank you guys for the suggestions! what i'd ultimately want is it to make it look like there is no d/c involved. (i'd like to plug in a lamp chord to the wall not a d/c plug. i'd like for all the components to be hidden away internally so it looks like a lamp not a contraption. is there any way to convert a/c to d/c (to be controlled by the morse key) and then back into a/c to power the lamp? Thank you for your patience as all this is a pretty steep learning curve for me! thanks!

You can't use that switch to switch the AC load of the lamp, it will not only create a hazard as it's exposed conductive surfaces, but it will also arch and fuse the contacts or glow a nice shade of red... That and it's not a on/off switch it's only a momentary switch... If you want it safe and reliable follow my lead or a similar lead...