Maker Pro
Maker Pro

tube/cord for small wires

pevweb

Nov 6, 2020
trying to figure out how to take a length of about 4' of 5 individual cables (small 12v cables) and put them into a rubber tube or something so that they aren't loose. I would essentially like a flexible tube kind of like the same material you would have in a long extension cord. I could take an extension cord, gut it and then put my cables in but I would rather not waste an existing cord. ideas?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Silicone or PVC hose readily available online on different marketplaces, by different vendors in different diameters, lengths and colors.
Or look up "flexible cable conduit" - specially designed for this purpose. Usually easier to insert and remove cables from these than from a hose.

pevweb

Nov 6, 2020
Silicone or PVC hose readily available online on different marketplaces, by different vendors in different diameters, lengths and colors.
Or look up "flexible cable conduit" - specially designed for this purpose. Usually easier to insert and remove cables from these than from a hose.
thanks....everything I'm finding seems fairly rigid (compared to a regular extension). the bulk seems to be that corrugated tubing which is rather stiff. I think I'll just steal 4-5 feet from one of my extensions :)

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Already made for wiring a household thermostat, or for telephone wiring if thinner awg22 works,
upload_2020-11-18_13-32-44.jpeg
CAT3.jpg

Or stuffed vinyl hose as for fish tank available in many diametres at the hardware store; or a section of defunct garden hose...

Cat4 ----> https://networkencyclopedia.com/category-4-cabling/

Last edited:

pevweb

Nov 6, 2020
Already made for wiring a household thermostat, or for telephone wiring if thinner awg22 works,
View attachment 49844
Or stuffed vinyl hose as for fish tank available in many diametres at the hardware store; or a section of defunct garden hose...
thermostat wire seems to be what I should have gone with! it's a fraction of the price and already has sheathing on.. I'll go get a few meters!
any limitations to that cable? other than it's just rated for 12 volts

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
The AWG rating will tell the current capability. In stranded cable version will be much more flexible than in solid wire version.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
thermostat wire seems to be what I should have gone with! it's a fraction of the price and already has sheathing on.. I'll go get a few meters!
any limitations to that cable? other than it's just rated for 12 volts

Also cabling used for alarm systems....insulation rated more than likely at no more than about 24v.
Current rated as above.#6

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
In stranded cable version will be much more flexible than in solid wire version.
Also much more reliable as the risk of a broken cable is so much lower with stranded wire.