Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tuning TV sound bar

David Aungier 244

Nov 10, 2021
Hi, I recently purchased a Sony HT-X8500 sound bar in the hope that I could find a set up that would allow me to hear TV dialogue over music and background noise . I have quite bad frequency deafness mainly in upper levels so if I turn the volume up the bass drowns the treble and I can't pick up the speech. The system has various adjustment including - voice/bass/dts dialogue/audio/music/cinema/autosound etc and I have spent some time fiddling without making any real progress. For me it is all a bit complicated, specially with the cyclic control arrangement. My question is, might I be able to find somebody out there who really knows how to set the system up to suit my hearing problem so that I know that I am getting the best out of it even if it is not perfect? Thanks David.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I got my hearing tested when I was 70 years old and was told that my high frequencies range was very bad and was normal for my age.
So I tried a 3 months demo and was satisfied that new hearing aids made my hearing better than when I was young.
The hearing aids boost high audio frequencies but not the low frequencies. They have settings that do features like noise reduction and compression that normal hearing cannot do. New hearing aids have a Bluetooth receiver in them.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Most old people like me use hearing aids. I even got the lenses in my eyes replaced (caused by cataracts) and the arteries in my heart opened with stents (caused by a heart attack).