Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turning computer speakers into portable mp3 amplifier. Problem.

bulipap

Sep 9, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to make a portable mp3 amplifier out of two computer speakers. Now I have read this article on how to make them:
http://www.instructables.com/id/how...-power-connector-and-removing-second-speaker/
Also, here's a picture of my amplifier, battery pack and speaker: http://imageshack.us/g/163/img2012t.jpg/
I'm stuck at step 3 where you should add the power source (in my case a compatible battery pack). I have the battery pack and want to either solder it directly onto the board or connect them with the two wires that I cut from the power transformer. Where do I solder the two wired to the board or which two wires from the battery pack should I connect to the two wires from the old transformer? In other words, how do I connect the battery pack to the amplifier?
I know, the explanation wasn't the best but I would be really glad if you tried helping since I have had this problem for a long time now already...
Thanks!

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Are you sure this amp is gonna run on 6V? Also if you tie the battery pack into the old transformer wires, then there will be a diode voltage drop, so now you are looking at 5.3V to the amp. I don't know but this sounds too low.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Mp3 pc speaker amp

Hi bulipap.
Yes it should be easy enough, i use a set of pc speakers on a NAD tuner separates. Measure the voltage AC on the secondary winding, the wires that went to the speaker amps board, remember it AC so use an AC range on your multi meter, start at a high setting so as to not damage the meter, what ever that transformers AC voltage was you need to add a couple of DC battery volts.

These little amps have a wide operational voltage, some from as low as 6 volts and up to a top limit of 15 volts, but dont put that much in, 2 volts above the transformer voltage is fine, wires can go either way round as the DC is passing through a bridge rectifier, so your volts in battery pack might need to be a bit more, but try it and see with 6 volts first, the wide operating voltage means 6 volts might run it, but test the AC out of the transformer, oh be careful if your connecting up to the mains. Dave. PS these little speaker sets are ten a penny here in the uk, they can be modded to most fixed or portable audio apps.