Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turning Motor Shaft indicator, or motor Stall warning!!!

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
Ok, My landlord is a D*CK!...to put it kindly.
We have ancient hot water heating in my office, with forced air by a fan.
These units are as old as I am...if not older, and Im 60, and the motor for the fans, altho I have disassembled them, cleaned them, and lubricating them, they have a tendency to "Stall" The ,management steadfastly refuses to replace the motors, altho, it would be quite inexpensive.
Kicking the motor, with my size 14s or cycling the power usually awakens the motor, bringing it back to life again.
The problem is, they stall silently, and in the mean time, in or freezing Ontario (Canadian) temperatures...its kind of a pain.
is there a (relatively) easy way to sense the shaft stopping, either by using a design on the shaft, read by infared, and read by a 555 missing pulse circuit, or a way to read the upswing of amperage a stalled motor creates???????

I realise that a picture of the motor, and its wires would help a LOT, but I left my phone at home. Stand by tomorrow for a picture of this motor
As I have discussed in this forum here prior, I prefer (actually LOVE) to create using analogue circuits, altho, I am well aware that it can be done with a "Stamp, or microcontroller"
As always, thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
I guess I could use a motor speed controller, easy enough to make, and if stalled would simply blow apart the controller semiconductor, which is easily enough replaced??????????????????????????????

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Something even simpler. A flat (thin) plate connected to the moving arm of a microswitch and placed in the air stream perhaps?