Maker Pro
Maker Pro

U8 spy camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
I have a U8 spy camera and it won't charge via USB charger and video record at the same time although it should.
The battery mode seems to over ride the external charging and the video function won't work.
I'm wondering if removing or disconnecting the battery might allow the external charger to work?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've re-read this post five times and I'm still confused.
You've entered a lot of information in pretty short/combined sentences.
Can you spread the information out a little, so we can separate each issue that you're seeing, and better
determine why they're happening?

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
Certainly.
I have a mini digital camera called a U8 Spy Cam
images

I can place it in my front window while I'm away and it will record digital images of any traffic that enters the property.
It does exactly what I want it to in battery mode which is internal and rechargeable.
The problem I have is the charge only lasts a couple of hours.
The instructions say while using an external charging device, press the K3 switch for an extended period, six seconds or so and then press K3 once again quickly.
When I do this it reverts back to charging the battery and doesn't record.
This seems to be a common problem among other people who have purchased this unit.
I haven't cracked it open yet, I thought it best to consult the forum members.
I am considering bypassing the internal battery and using a USB supply only but I'm uncertain if this is the right direction to go.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Excellent explanation, thanks.
I'm not familiar with this unit either, but it sounds like you've read about other people with your issue.
Frankly, especially with your spy camera battery life and extended use application; I would personally
look for another camera system to monitor your traffic in a long-term application. But that's me.
I don't know your interface issue, if you're recording traffic, or tripping a relay for an alarm, but there are
a lot of relatively inexpensive alternatives to the spy cam you presently want to adapt.
If you're determined, I don't see why you couldn't bypass the battery for continuous use, but I'd worry about how the designers made the spy cam. It may not have been intended for continuous/long-term use, and be may become heat-damaged, or suffer some other failure due to unintended use.
I'd consider how badly you want this particular spy cam to do this job, as opposed to buying another inexpensive
equivalent that was designed for continuous use.

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
If you're determined, I don't see why you couldn't bypass the battery for continuous use, but I'd worry about how the designers made the spy cam. It may not have been intended for continuous/long-term use, and be may become heat-damaged, or suffer some other failure due to unintended use.

Good point.
The problem I found with other camera's is the size.
It may turn into an inexpensive experiment and lesson because I'm not sure I can resist the urge to open it up.:D

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Good luck with experimenting.
When I was a kid, most electronics were pretty robust, not that I didn't destroy a few things while learning.
If you open this device up, you're going to find the circuitry almost, if not impossible, to rework by hand.
(Your battery connections excepted).
Try to remember that the circuit is going to be highly susceptible to static (ESD) damage,
Be as careful as you can not to inadvertently zap the circuit. I'd be pretty mad if I tinkered in there,
and then found out I accidentally destroyed an otherwise fully operational spy cam.
(But I still think you oughtta keep looking for an equivalent to do this job)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've been thinking a little out-of-the-box on your issue.
There are a lot of remote sensors, wireless and otherwise out there. A remote doorbell system for example that are
relatively cheap. Would it be possible to rig a remote sensor trip at the point where traffic enters the property, to activate your existing spy cam for monitoring of the entranceway?
It would trip for a set period of time to view the traffic coming in or out, and go back into standby when it doesn't detect a presence there.
Just something to consider.

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
It works like that now, set it to standby, activate the motion sensor for the video and it operates up for a couple of minutes and then goes back into standby until motion is detected.
The problem is the charged battery doesn't last long enough.

These are the instructions for the motion/video activation with an external charge...
First, turn the cam off with K1 button.
Then, press and hold K3 button while you plug the cam into USB charger or to the USB port on PC.
Release K3 button.
The cam will vibrate.
Short-press K3 again to activate motion detection.
Recording stops when memory is full.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Wow. Apparently you have a lot more traffic entering your property than I expected.
It sounds like it's a longshot, but does the manufacturer offer some type of accessory for this unit, maybe some
kind of module the spy cam plugs into, that can supply continuous power?
It really sounds like, from your operator directions, that the unit is not performing like it should.
It also sounds like you've thoroughly explored possible remedies.
If there isn't some kind of push-button command for the spy cam that's not listed in your directions,
I can understand how you'd be very frustrated about this.
A 'duh' question from me. IS, the memory full and do you have to clear it before it will operate as
the directions say it will? Did you use whatever command it takes to clear the memory, so that it will function
while it's supposed to be charging? I don't know, just trying to think of any possible quirk here, that might
be causing the spy cam to malfunction in this way.

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
I'm using a 32GB card and have it cleared.
It works perfect with battery only so the problem is with the external power, the USB charger seems to over ride the command and forces the unit back to charging mode instead of motion detecting.
A long press of the K3 and then a quick press of K3 all while charging and the unit should work but it doesn't.
I know from all the other users that it is a common problem but it's not upsetting as I'm impressed with what it can do for the cost involved.
I've done extensive searching and I have yet to see a fix, I think people just give up on it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah. If it was built correctly, sounds like some kind of glitch in the command functions.
Doesn't look like anybody else here is familiar with your unit, but it didn't hurt to ask here, there
are a lot of pretty smart guys on this site.
Good luck with however you decide to handle the application.

Caman

Dec 6, 2020
Kenapa spy cam u8 saya setelah di cherger selama 1,5 jam lampu indikator warna biru berkedip 10 kali lalu mati

Translation:
Why is my U8 spy cam after being in the charger for 1.5 hours the blue indicator light flashes 10 times and then turns off

Moderators note : please use only english over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.