Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ultra light / small / bright clip-on LEDs

chrisaxe21

Sep 28, 2012
Hi all,

I'm a power kite user. I would like to clip some ultra light / small and also bright LEDs to the kite without affecting it's performance, but making it glow in the night sky.

I did electronics at uni over 10 years ago so it's all a little rusty for me but would be able to make a tiny circuit board with battery if necessary.

What can you suggest to make this as small and light, but bright (multiple LEDs??) as possible?

Thanks

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
CR2032 with the LED (or LEDs) directly attached to it, just slide it over the battery... You will get different run time with the number of LEDs and what color, and the run times won't be that long but it's the compromise you get for low weight...

If you want lots of lights may I suggest a little rechargeable lipo pack like they use for the micro RC helicopters...

Note that the battery is your biggest challenge when trying to keep weight down...

chrisaxe21

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I think a tiny CR2032 may do it. What about the LED itself? Surface Mount would make it smaller and lighter but I'd have to design a PCB small enough.

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
No reason for the surface mount, the weight difference is so small overall when you consider what the battery weight... And by the time you mount the surface mount LED on a board you have certainly lost any weight advantage... Just slide the legs of a through hole LED over the battery, no wires no board needed just a little tape...

Like this, just skip the magnet part...

http://ceweb2.uml.edu/EW_Project2/rvisi212/step1.html

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Why not use two lines and stuff the power up from the ground. Any voltage loss can be compensated by increased voltage supply.
The supply resistance may mean that resistors in series with the LEDs will not be necessary.

You can get plastic cord with a stainless steel thread to pass the current. This used for electric fences, try an agricultural merchant. If the lines cross, the supply will be shorted so a current limiting resistor should be included.

chrisaxe21

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Now, would the battery and LED or LEDs cause any heat / burning to the kite material (it's like tent fabric as a comparison)

What about making these flash, is there a simple low weight board that can do this?

thanks

Chris

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I would not think that temperature would be a problem, you will have to experiment and place some insulation beween the LED and the kite if necessary. I presume that there will be a good cooling air current. If the battery is on the kite, it cannot be very powerful.

LEDs can be obtained that flash.
A 555 chip can drive a LED or a transistor to drive several LEDs
A 4093 chip can drive four FETs to drive four sets of LEDs.
A 40106 chip can drive six FETs to drive six sets of LEDs.