Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ultrasonic Sensor Help

MrBretten

Jan 22, 2015
I recently took an interest in ultrasonic devices and was hoping someone who understands audio would be able to offer their opinion on my circuit design.

What I currently understand is that ultrasonic is sound that occurs outside of the human range of hearing ( >20kHz). I have created a detection circuit that can locate a device that is emitting this ultrasonic sound. I have looked at many transducers and have found that most transducers have a center frequency at around 25kHz or 40kHz (I don't entirely understand why these values have been chosen, but I've just been rolling with it and praying for the best). I would prefer receiving the entire ultrasonic frequency spectrum instead of just 40kHz (or 25kHz). The current theory I've been going off of is that if a device is emitting some random ultrasonic frequency, then there might be a 40kHz signal in there somewhere.

So back to my ultrasonic receiver circuit now; Currently I have a 40kHz transducer that is DC filtered, amplified by a TL081 (1st stage, x2 gain), filtered through a 4th order band-pass filter with a center frequency of 40kHz and a bandwidth of 5kHz, amplified again by a TL081 (2nd stage, x100 gain), DC filtered again, and finally sent to a DSP device for signal processing (and hopefully ultrasonic sound location capabilities).

Here's where the problems begin. Although I am able to receive a signal that is 40kHz (and with high gain too); the signal is a tad too noisy for my taste. It's most likely due to the solder-less breadboard I'm using, but I'm starting to doubt that way I've gone about receiving and analyzing the signal. Is there a better method of going about this (different op-amps?)? And is there a way to get the entire ultrasonic frequency spectrum (or at least 20kHz to 80kHz)? I was planning on just running the signal I have now through an ADC and having a raspberry pi do a spectrum analysis, but I don't know if what I'm getting is the correct signal (the transducer does respond to direction though, like if I move away from the device, amplitude decreases). Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
have you googled for wide band ultra sonic transducers

personally haven't heard of them but they may exist

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Taylor
Can you post a circuit diagram. It might be something in your design.
Thanks
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
have you googled for wide band ultra sonic transducers

personally haven't heard of them but they may exist

Dave do you think he might be better off using a microphone?
Adam

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I haven't looked specifically to what the freq response would be for a microphone would be in the 20 - 80 kHz range ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Considering mic's are designed for human voice range + plus a bit, I would be surprised if their above 20kHz is any good ... the response of several I looked at dramatically fell off even before 20 kHz

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
that one only has a 6 kHz bandwidth centred on 80kHz ;)

he's after a wideband sensor covering the 20 - 80kHz (100kHz) range

as I said in post #2 Im not familiar with any wideband ones, but they possibly exist

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Your 40KHz centered transducer is probably capable of receiving signals quite a bit wider than that, but at reduced response. But then you put a 40KHz bandpass filter that will attenuate anything other than 40KHz. Lose the bandpass filter and you will get a wider response. Not sure if it will be wide enough for your purposes, but I can only improve things.

Bob

MrBretten

Jan 22, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I have looked at high frequency range transducers, but most are WAY out of my price range. The transducer I currently have is 40 kHz with a 1 kHz BW. I did come across something interesting though; if an inductor is put in parallel with the transducer, apparently the bandwidth increases significantly. I'm still doing research into it, so I'll get back with you all on my findings. If I can increase the BW then hell, I might as well make the center frequency tunable

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes used for bat detectors. It can increase it up to 60KHz. But you loose a bit lower down in frequency.
Adam