Maker Pro
Maker Pro

UM66 is not giving full tone

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
How will the doorbell pushbutton start the melody? The melody IC is designed to begin playing when the switch is turned on and stop by itself. It must be turned off by the switch so that it can start playing the next time the switch is turned on. It needs to have the switch stay turned on or a capacitor powering it for it to play the entire song.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
How will the doorbell pushbutton start the melody? The melody IC is designed to begin playing when the switch is turned on and stop by itself. It must be turned off by the switch so that it can start playing the next time the switch is turned on. It needs to have the switch stay turned on or a capacitor powering it for it to play the entire song.
In #6 I suggested that the amplifier is powered continuously (it uses little power) and the BT66 is switched by the push button, Then a smaller capacitor is needed to provide power to the end of the tune.
The tone will depend on the output of the BT66 and the speaker used.

rahulb

Mar 14, 2018

it was my mistake. I did't realized that amplifier needs voltage too. when power is off, it cannot amplify the sound.

rahulb

Mar 14, 2018
In #6 I suggested that the amplifier is powered continuously (it uses little power) and the BT66 is switched by the push button, Then a smaller capacitor is needed to provide power to the end of the tune.
The tone will depend on the output of the BT66 and the speaker used.

thanks duke37. it is a good idea.

Actually, the whole confusion occurred because I am in India. I checked on net. I realized that there is a transformer installed in houses in western countries to get 12 to 16v. Here, there is no such thing. Thats why I was confused about what you are asking.

Here doorbells are directly connected to 230v. Even my last magnetic coil ding dong bell was directly connected to 230v. I realized why we got shocks few times from the switch.

I am trying to implement your advice. let see what I can do. thanks a lot.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Since everything in India is different form here (that old Indian IC is not available in the West) then why didn't you ask about it on a forum in India? I have never asked about my Western things on a website in India.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I know of no houses, in the UK or elsewhere, which have low voltage supplies. All houses are fitted with ring mains, lighting circuits and 13A 230V sockets.There are loads of plug in small power supplies for lights and electronic apparatus. A central low voltage supply seems like a good idea.

rahulb

Mar 14, 2018
Since everything in India is different form here (that old Indian IC is not available in the West) then why didn't you ask about it on a forum in India? I have never asked about my Western things on a website in India.

because I thought it to be universal. I think UM66 is available throughout the world.

rahulb

Mar 14, 2018
I know of no houses, in the UK or elsewhere, which have low voltage supplies. All houses are fitted with ring mains, lighting circuits and 13A 230V sockets.There are loads of plug in small power supplies for lights and electronic apparatus. A central low voltage supply seems like a good idea.

I watched on youtube.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I am only somewhat confused. I was just trying something on my own.
Experimentation is good. But it should be backed up with knowledge (theory), precise measurements, and good records of what was done... so the same experiments are not repeated while hoping for (expecting) different results... to do that is one definition of insanity. Just adding components here and there, hoping it will fix the problem, is not an effective approach to electronics.

You might consider @Audioguru's post #25, if you think there is a cultural difference problem. Personally, based on reading other threads on Electronics Point, I don't think it is a cultural difference problem; I believe it is a lack of knowledge problem. This is an international forum, and electronics knows no national boundaries. Learn electronics.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
In the US, there is typically a 12V transformer attached to the electric panel for the doorbell circuit.

Bob

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The UM66 melody IC is made in India and sold in India. On Google the first few websites talking about it are in India.
Most videos about the UM66 are from India except one is from Abdulla Mohammed.

The UM66 produces high pitched squeaky buzzer sounds and would never be used in The West as a doorbell.