Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Uniden Atlantis 250 Handheld 2-way VHF radio --- Does not receive / no audio for incoming

NicholasP

Dec 18, 2022
I have a Uniden Atlantis 250 handheld 2-way VHF radio that was gifted to me. It broadcasts, but doesn't receive. When I change the channels on it, I can hear a small 'thud' type noise, but nothing like 'beep' noise it should make. I can hear a louder hissing noise when I turn the volume all the way up. I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I'm hopeful I'm in the correct place.

Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Try adjusting the squelch control. The operators manual should tell you how to use it.

Where are you? What are you listening to? Sure there are actual signals being transmitted in your area? They don't transmit all the time - only when they need to. You just might not be listening when someone is talking!

NicholasP

Dec 18, 2022
Try adjusting the squelch control. The operators manual should tell you how to use it.

Where are you? What are you listening to? Sure there are actual signals being transmitted in your area? They don't transmit all the time - only when they need to. You just might not be listening when someone is talking!

I have adjusted the squelch control, that's not the issue. I have tested it using channel 01 (the weather channel, it broadcasts continually). I have also tested it using various channels with my other handheld radio (which is receiving weather on channel 01).

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you have another known, working, signal source you can of course prove an issue with the receive section. It does appear to be the case however this could also be due to an unlocked PLL in the receiver since you haven't got the 'tone' that signifies a correct channel change.
If you don't understand the 'PLL' abbreviation then you will likely have difficulty in both locating the fault and/or not have the right test equipment to do it.
Please tell me I'm wrong! There is little else we can advise on without details of your understanding and capabilities to take this forward.

NicholasP

Dec 18, 2022
I admit, I am unfamiliar with PLL, though after looking it up, I wonder how the PLL would become unlocked in the receiver. While it appears as if I won't be able to fix this radio (I was hoping to confirm that the receiver speaker or some other part was bad), how do you think an unlocked PLL would come about?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The PLL is only one possible cause of a fault - you'd have to dismantle the set and take the appropriate measurements to see if any of them actually are 'unlocked'. If you've looked up how a PLL works then you should appreciate the various 'boxes' that form the loop and a failure in any one 'box' could stop a PLL from locking.