Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unknown component

Jeff Sweeney

Jan 31, 2018
Can anyone tell me what this component is and what the print on it refers to? It came from 1980 camaro buzzer/lighting circuit.
At first I thought is was some type of a thermal fuse but now I'm no so sure. Here is what's printed on it.

L1 KS
G160
N squared

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 94

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
I would have guessed a diode of some sort - have you tried to measured it?

Do you still have the original circuit board where it came from?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Jeff
Welcome

Can anyone tell me what this component is and what the print on it refers to? It came from 1980 camaro buzzer/lighting circuit.
At first I thought is was some type of a thermal fuse but now I'm no so sure. Here is what's printed on it.

L1 KS
G160
N squared
a thermal fuse would have been my guess as well ... either that or possibly a capacitor
can you please show a photo of the circuit where it came from and where in the circuit it was

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If from a 'buzzing' circuit is likely to be a suppression capacitor (across the buzzer). They don't usually go 'wrong' so what's the actual problem?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Most US car manufacturers have the electronic parts installed in their vehicles custom-marked with their own numbering system, probably to discourage people like us from repairing the devices ourselves instead of buying the manufacturer's replacement parts. My vote is with davenn & Kellys_eye. That sure looks like a lot of the capacitors I see in a lot of gear. It doesn't physically look stressed, although it might still be damaged. Are you pretty sure that's the problem with your device, it could be something else.
When manufacturers custom-mark electronic parts in their cars, people here usually refer to the practice as 'house'-numbering of them. I've always heard the practice referred to as 'proprietary' part numbering.
The number you see on your device is most probably owned by GM, which had the part manufacturer stamp their own proprietary part number on it. (And hides that information from the public).
davenn is a pretty sharp individual. If he says it might be a thermal fuse, it could be.
Can you tell us a little bit more about your buzzer/lighting circuit? Just from the title of the circuit, the thermal fuse option makes a lot more sense, but I don't know the complexity of the circuit you're looking at.
If you don't get a definitive answer here, I'd Google the buzzer/lighting fault on your vehicle model, and see what other people might have posted about a similar problem.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I've never come across 'hidden' fuses of any kind in a motor vehicle - this could be a first but given the age (1980) I very much doubt it.

Jeff Sweeney

Jan 31, 2018
When I measure I'm getting no continuity and zero volts across. I've attached 2 pictures of the board it came off of, I've circled where is was connected on the backside. On the front it's hidden under the buzzer.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 92

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Brilliant photo.....:rolleyes: the topside location of which is covered by that metal disk.....

Still, it is very likely to be a capacitor - you won't measure anything across it using a standard test meter either. It is probably NOT faulty though.

The circuit seems to be a simple oscillator being used to drive the sounder (the disk being the active sound-making element).

What, precisely, is the fault?