Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unlicensed Radio That Will Transmit Continuously

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
Does anyone know of an unlicensed type of radio that will transmit continuously? Most of the CB type seem to have a time limit controlled by the mic button. I want to broadcast a continuous signal for test purposes. It does not need to be audio modulated. Carrier frequency is not critical. What are my options?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Without actually checking I would suspect that there is NO unlicenced radio that is actually ALLOWED to transmit continuously - such transmissions usually require licencing. I suspect that continuous transmission is referred to as broadcasting which is a different thing and usually under much more strict regulation.

There's no reason you couldn't use a timer to 'key' a transmitter (CB, whatever) for as long as you're allowed but, then again, keying without modulation is another legally dodgy thing.

If we knew more about what you wanted to achieve (and why) we might be able to advise further - for example, do you need 'range' to do your test (very low powered transmitters often fall outside legal rulings so you could achieve your result using something like that)?

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
dont remote control helicopters do continuous broadcasting?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
I know some gals that never hang up their phones with no remote clue of what transmitting licensing is; and plenty of WiFi on in every home 24/365. But when I want to transmit intermittent conversations on amateur radio I have to identify like once a minute and pass trough the funnel of licensing which is now paid.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Yes, but that is modulated AND licensed in some countries (or, at a minimum, on a permitted frequency).

I suggest you consult your local authorities as each country differs. In the UK, OFCOM publish a set of rules/guidelines most of which I haven't bothered to consult so could be talking through my hat here! As a LICENSED radio operator I know what I can and can't do on the bands I'm permitted to use (and my license covers from 'DC to light', basically the most open and liberal license available) but there are bands called ISM (Industrial Scientific Medical) that have other rules that 'may' include un-modulated carrier transmission but they are very likely to include limitations on power and time - YMMV.

You still haven't advised of the how/where/why of your need which could help in offering advice. You might not even need an 'airborne' signal as you can do many tests through direct signal injection and suitable attenuation.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

no. it is in bursts as you do flight control

there are a number of frequencies world wide that are usable for low power transmissions
433MHz is one of them

below is from the Australian System, it is similar to other countries ......

Low interference potential devices (LIPD) class licence​

This class licence lets you use some short-range devices on shared frequencies.

What this class licence lets you do​

The low interference potential devices (LIPD) class licence allows the use short-range devices.
These devices include:
  • wi-fi devices
  • wireless microphones
  • garage door openers
  • telecommand for drones'
  • radars including automotive
  • home detention monitoring equipment
  • personal alarms
  • ultra-wideband transmitters
  • infrared equipment
  • video sender transmitters
  • radiofrequency identification (RFID)
  • barcode readers
All users operate on shared frequencies.
The radio-controlled models class licence is for models (such as model ships or planes) that you control with radio frequencies.

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
Thanks for the advice so far. It is possible that I may be able to modify one of the devices listed in davenn's post. I believe some businesses now have RFID systems that operate continuously for tracking purposes. I had also thought of retriggering CB radio mic to avoid it timing out. My purpose is an experimental transmission link for continuous real time data over a distance of a few hundred meters.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
My purpose is an experimental transmission link for continuous real time data over a distance of a few hundred meters.
You need to look at LORA systems then. Compact, low power, no license, large user base etc.