Maker Pro
Maker Pro

US wall switch alternative

tfarkas

Aug 1, 2014
I'm looking for a switch to replace a standard US wall lighting switch, but that returns to a "home" position automatically (e.g., via spring), and so is turned both on and off with the same motion, like an overhead fan switch. The goals are 1) to orient the switch such that a push/pull upwards toggles the switch, and 2) to which a fine cable or strong string can be nicely fastened (i.e., not with duct tape, but with drilled hole and glue/knots).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
They're called 'momentary' switches.
I don't know your application. Unless you have an outside circuit to maintain circuit continuity after you flip your momentary switch, take care in your switch selection, to be sure that you don't buy a switch for your circuit
that actually momentarily turns your circuit on, and then turns it off when you release the switch. You want a switch that will remain on, even when the switch returns to it's center position. Just letting you know there are
two different types of these momentary switches, and to consider that in your switch selection.

tfarkas

Aug 1, 2014
They're called 'momentary' switches.
I don't know your application. Unless you have an outside circuit to maintain circuit continuity after you flip your momentary switch, take care in your switch selection, to be sure that you don't buy a switch for your circuit
that actually momentarily turns your circuit on, and then turns it off when you release the switch. You want a switch that will remain on, even when the switch returns to it's center position. Just letting you know there are
two different types of these momentary switches, and to consider that in your switch selection.

Okay, thanks. Is there a name for momentary switches that "latch" the circuit, but not the toggle?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
This isn't what was asked for: on-off in the same direction, but since I often find our posts on Google searches, I'm submitting this additional information:
These two switches are regualr wall toggle switches with a return-to-center momentary action: But you flip one way to turn-'on', then return-to-center; and flip the other way to turn-'off', then return-to-center:
Leviton #1256-W 15A 124 SPDT, momentary contact
Bryant #4921 (in white, ivory, and gray), 20A 120/277VAC SPDT, momentary contact.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Dos it need to look exactly like the standard two-position toggle light switch?

Ken