Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB 3.1 gen 1 port wiring for charging

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I would like to charge my dinosaur (is an Motorola Moto E2), Samsung J5, but also some iPhones (if possible)
That is exactly what I wanted to hear.... sorry read.
MOV 10K201 and here comes one big doubt, my mains here is 127V (I'm from Brazil), I found some datasheet and it says the maximum operating voltage is 130V, this is so damn close, so it's not recommended, right?
We are going to need a fuse. I'll take care of that, if you don't already have one. If you do, need to know the fuses you have.
For the MOV(Metal Oxide Varistor) Zinc Oxide Leaded Varistors . Are used for transients also known as voltage surges.The 130V you speak of, does not sound right. Perhaps it is 130J the J stands for Joules and that is Energy. Think of it like a lightning strike it's real fast with lots,lots,lots,... of Energy. When you see that lightning it only lasts a couple of milliseconds. If you were to blink your eyes, you would miss it. Although,you can still see the flash through your eyelids. Anyway shoot me that data sheet you are referencing(looking at). Also you say you are in Brazil and the mains are 127VAC. Give me some time to read up on it and become an expert. Okay I'm an expert.
If it's not asking too much I would like some version of the circuit without the transistors too
It is not too much to ask. Your circuit will have no transistors.
Now contrary to popular belief. I do not know everything. What the heck are you holding?

1675825304657.png

Also... I need to know all the components. Do you have a 7805! Because believe it or not there are different kinds of 7805's I need to know which one you have.

Last edited:

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
That is exactly what I wanted to hear.... sorry read.

We are going to need a fuse. I'll take care of that, if you don't already have one. If you do, need to know the fuses you have.
For the MOV(Metal Oxide Varistor) Zinc Oxide Leaded Varistors . Are used for transients also known as voltage surges.The 130V you speak of, does not sound right. Perhaps it is 130J the J stands for Joules and that is Energy. Think of it like a lightning strike it's real fast with lots,lots,lots,... of Energy. When you see that lightning it only lasts a couple of milliseconds. If you were to blink your eyes, you would miss it. Although,you can still see the flash through your eyelids. Anyway shoot me that data sheet you are referencing(looking at). Also you say you are in Brazil and the mains are 127VAC. Give me some time to read up on it and become an expert. Okay I'm an expert.

It is not too much to ask. Your circuit will have no transistors.
Now contrary to popular belief. I do not know everything. What the heck are you holding?

View attachment 57927

Also... I need to know all the components. Do you have a 7805! Because believe it or not there are different kinds of 7805's I need to know which one you have.
I'm sending the datasheet where I saw the 130V on it, still don't have the 7805, but I'm planning to get the TO-220 version from st microeletronics, the fuse is the glass type one, 1A rating.

Attachments

• Varistor 10K201.pdf
    231.9 KB · Views: 2

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Before you purchase the 7805, if you would like, I could provide you options that will fulfill your requirement, a couple of suggestion perhaps it will still be linear if that's okay.?
You're still the boss the answer No,is fine as well. It is what my boss says to me all the time. :(

Last edited:

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Before you purchase the 7805, if you would like, I could provide you options that will fulfill your requirement, a couple of suggestion perhaps it will still be linear if that's okay.?
You're still the boss the answer No,is fine as well. It is what my boss says to me all the time. :(
Sure, I'm open to all type of suggestions! At least you got a boss.:(

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Loads (like a smart phone or dumb phones) draw varying amounts of current, & will have a maximum current draw rating. They will never draw more than this, but will draw much less (like when fully charged).
USB ports cannot provide more than 500mA of current unless you signal the device (using the D+ & D- lines) it can & will draw more. Phones that conform to the USB specifications will not draw more than 500mA.
We can signal the phones using resistors to make voltage dividers that would connect across the D+ & D- lines (pins) of the USB.
There is no standard voltage value we want on the D+ & D- pins, it's not part of the USB specifications.
Apple generally has its own specific resistor values (that changes the voltage values) that are different from android devices, & Samsung, has it's own signaling voltage values on there data lines.
The different voltages on the data lines D+&D- ,tell the phone what type of power supply (charger) it is hooked up too.
I'm going to need you to take photos of all the transformers you have so I can take a look at them.
I would like for you to consider the LM323
as an replacement for the LM7805.
The LM323 is a positive 5 volt fixed voltage regulator that can provide 3amps of current
by itself.
Read the description given on the data sheet.
I think you will like it.;)

Attachments

• LM323-D.PDF
    134.5 KB · Views: 0

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

If you need an even higher current as 3 Amp, there are some LT regulators that go upto 7.5 Amp:
LT1083_84_85_comparisson.png

Attachments

• LT1083_LT1084_LT1085.pdf
    169.8 KB · Views: 0

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
MOV 10K201 and here comes one big doubt, my mains here is 127V (I'm from Brazil), I found some datasheet and it says the maximum operating voltage is 130V, this is so damn close, so it's not recommended, right?
Wrong.
When a voltage spike appears on your power mains 127VAC. That Spike will be 127v +the amplitude of the spike itself example (lightning strikes near your home this lightning strike is 10,000 volts and catches a ride on your power mains going to your equipment that is plugged in or connected to the wall outlet. So.127v+ 10,000v=10,127v.
Your MOV rated at 130v will suppress any voltage Spike( transient) that increases above 130v . Its working principle is: when the voltage spike(transient) reaches a certain value(130v), the resistance of the MOV decreases rapidly, suppressing (lowering, reducing) the spike voltage(transient) below 130 volts. Protecting your transformer and the entire circuit behind it. I'll get you your new schematic of your power supply project sometime tomorrow.
  1. https://www.utmel.com/blog/categories/resistor/varistor-definition-function-working-and-testing
  2. https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7675090_test-varistor.html
  3. https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/test-methods/meters/multimeter-resistance-measurement.php
  4. https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-types/varistor/

Last edited:

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Loads (like a smart phone or dumb phones) draw varying amounts of current, & will have a maximum current draw rating. They will never draw more than this, but will draw much less (like when fully charged).
USB ports cannot provide more than 500mA of current unless you signal the device (using the D+ & D- lines) it can & will draw more. Phones that conform to the USB specifications will not draw more than 500mA.
We can signal the phones using resistors to make voltage dividers that would connect across the D+ & D- lines (pins) of the USB.
There is no standard voltage value we want on the D+ & D- pins, it's not part of the USB specifications.
Apple generally has its own specific resistor values (that changes the voltage values) that are different from android devices, & Samsung, has it's own signaling voltage values on there data lines.
The different voltages on the data lines D+&D- ,tell the phone what type of power supply (charger) it is hooked up too.
I'm going to need you to take photos of all the transformers you have so I can take a look at them.
I would like for you to consider the LM323
as an replacement for the LM7805.
The LM323 is a positive 5 volt fixed voltage regulator that can provide 3amps of current
by itself.
Read the description given on the data sheet.
I think you will like it.;)
I will read the material about MOVs as soon as I got some time, I"ll take a look if I can find this regulator for sale too, I've read the entire datasheet too, looks cool and suitable for my project, the photos from the transformers are attached, the "1" transformer is much smaller, the "2" was rated for 15W, but I haven't measured the voltage yet. I'm always doing some research about the usb charge and found some data, maybe you can help me again.

If I use 33k and 22k resistor in order to put 2V in each data pin the iPhones will charge at 500mA maximum (that's right?,) is there any problem if the device is a phone from other brand or not a phone at all (another USB device)? I've also found that SDP got 24,8k ohms (maximum) resistor to the ground, this configuration is acceptable? Thanks again for the help (and very fast answers!).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.05.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.06 (1).jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.06.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.07 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.07 (1).jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.07 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 22.21.07 (2).jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
If I use 33k and 22k resistor in order to put 2V in each data pin the iPhones will charge at 500mA maximum (that's right?,) is there any problem if the device is a phone from other brand or not a phone at all (another USB device)? I've also found that SDP got 24,8k ohms (maximum) resistor to the ground, this configuration is acceptable? Thanks again for the help (and very fast answers!).
This is how it works if there's no communication between the device and your power supply through the data lines then by default your phone will think that it's hooked up to a dumb charger, which it is, & will charge at 500 milliamps or one half of an amp.
Do you have the USB ports, USB cable with the appropriate connectors for the phone you would like to charge?
I think we're going to have to buy a transformer we need one that can provide at least 12 volt 5 amps on the secondaries . With five amps you can charge four phones simultaneously. And there is room to spare if you would like to add on.USB-C is the standard that describes the connector and its specific capabilities. USB-PD describes the power delivery protocol which operates across this interface.;)

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Well here's a schematic it's not finished no values given for the components it's a work in progress it's not written Stone and it can be modified.
We can go USB-C protocols for power delivery but then it would no longer be a simple circuit. And technically challenging actually building the circuit itself for newbie... heck even for me.
In the schematic the symbol with the Big "M" on it, is for motor & that is your fan. I believe I have Incorporated the components you have on hand and perhaps one or two items that you must buy. Like a circuit board. I could provide you a component layout so you will know where to put the components on the circuit board itself.
2023022703355523277_1677497766014.png

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Here's the latest with the proper USB port configuration for your different phones. Do you have USB ports? The link below will explain the various configurations of the USB ports, this you should read.

photo_1677572274523.png

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Here's the latest with the proper USB port configuration for your different phones. Do you have USB ports? The link below will explain the various configurations of the USB ports, this you should read.

View attachment 58250
I'll read this material that you sent too, I already have the USB cables but not the ports yet, thank you so much for the circuit schematic, even as a newbie I can understand that (BTW I'm learning a lot). :D

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
There has been a change order for the schematic. Couldn't help myself.got bored.
There is 1 power transformer a full wave bridge rectifier and a capacitor bank, which forms the main power supply. This is fed to 2 different regulator circuits, that have different voltage output (in this case, 12Vdc for fan and 5Vdc for a cell phone battery charger).
The two voltage regulator inputs and return path are connected in parallel. D5, D3 separate and isolate the two regulators.
This allows the outputs of the two regulators to operate independently thus guaranteeing
the output voltage is the regulators nominal
output, minus a diode drop if, traditionally connected to ground or 0v.
To cancel out this voltage drop of the circuit.
The return path common, must terminate
to a voltage point, one diode drop above ground..
The ground is connected to all circuits for proper operation.
As long as the total DC RMS current of the 2 separate regulated circuits does not exceed the capacity of the main power supply and there respective individual regulator circuits, this circuit will workpower supply _1677756437710.png

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
There has been a change order for the schematic. Couldn't help myself.got bored.
There is 1 power transformer a full wave bridge rectifier and a capacitor bank, which forms the main power supply. This is fed to 2 different regulator circuits, that have different voltage output (in this case, 12Vdc for fan and 5Vdc for a cell phone battery charger).
The two voltage regulator inputs and return path are connected in parallel. D5, D3 separate and isolate the two regulators.
This allows the outputs of the two regulators to operate independently thus guaranteeing
the output voltage is the regulators nominal
output, minus a diode drop if, traditionally connected to ground or 0v.
To cancel out this voltage drop of the circuit.
The return path common, must terminate
to a voltage point, one diode drop above ground..
The ground is connected to all circuits for proper operation.
As long as the total DC RMS current of the 2 separate regulated circuits does not exceed the capacity of the main power supply and there respective individual regulator circuits, this circuit will workView attachment 58288
Hm... That's nice, I had no idea of the usefulness of the d5 and d3 diodes in this circuit, very cool.
In this schematic the 5V regulator will not extract power from 12V regulator, i like it;
I could never think about such circuit, thank you so much!

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

@Delta Prime :
Are D3 and D5 not the wrong way around?
Now no power can go to the USB ports or the fan.

Bertus