Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB booster circuit

Nick90

Dec 1, 2012
Hi,

Ok I'm working on a project that is powered by USB, I have the majority of it working, however, I want to be able to power a CFL bulb from USB. I was looking into Joule Thief circuits and managed to get a CFL to run from a single AA battery, I have tried running it from USB for a short time and it is fairly bright, however the transistor gets very hot and I'm guessing it's not designed for 5V.

Basically I want to know is there a circuit that can help boost CFL's brightness and are there any pre-built circuits I could buy?

I know it will not ever run at full brightness, I just want to make it as bright as possible. And I know LED would be a better choice, but I want to try CFLs.

Thanks

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
A booster like that would work, but really any simple amplifier would work. If you can find a transistor made for somewhat high specs, it should run fine without any heat problems. Course, you could also just put a heatsink on your transistor and you're set!

Nick90

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks mate.

If i was to swap some components in my joule thief circuit, how would i make the light as bright as possible?

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
Well I would need to see your circuit first :)