Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB to Parallel port programming

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
I found an old USB to 25 pin parallel port converter. I wanted to use it to program my Atmega16s which i normally program using a parallel port on my old desktop.

However when plugged in i see that I can only use this for printers and nothing else.

Is this a hardware issue or a software issue ?
How can i get it working like a normal parallel port which i can use for programming?
Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It may be a bit of both.

The parallel port on a PC is programmable in all sorts of ways. You can basically address each of the pins and do stuff with them.

The USB hardware may not have complete functionality in its parallel port emulation since it needs only to print, not to fully emulate the hardware. In addition it only has to provide protocols and firmware to do what it's designed to do.

It sounds like your programmer is not acting as a printer and the additional functionality isn't supported by the USB hardware and/or software :-(

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
Yeah I went through a 100 links on Google, all saying the same thing....
Is there anything I can do to make it work like a parallel port ? Or does the cable just go to waste ?

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
Hi,
After much frustration I decided to assemble this:
usbasp_circuit.png

Taken from:Here !

A few things confuse me.
Why is pin 2 and 3 of the Atmega8 connected to the 10 pin socket if only 6 of those pins(excluding 2 and 3 of course) are going to be used as input to the microcontroller that has to be programmed ?

Whats the point of the 4.7u capacitor attached to pin 1 of the USB port?

Is JP1 necessary or is it just to power the other microcontroller when needed ?

Thanks !

14/11/10 -- Anybody ???

Last edited: