Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a device with built-in battery?

ultrasonic1

Jun 27, 2015
Does anyone know if it’s possible to use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a waterproof device with a built-in battery (for example an electric razor, electric shaver or electric toothbrush)? And does it depend on the type of battery?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi ultrasonic1,
If the item to be cleaned is truly 'waterproof' and not splash proof there wont be a problem.
But rechargeable goods have contacts for charging the cells.
If these contacts are visible and not covered 'waterproof', then you will short the battery.
Having said that, you can if the contacts are out of the solution.

Martin

ultrasonic1

Jun 27, 2015
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer. The devices are waterproof. For example a body shaver that you can use under the shower and in bad. They do have visible contacts though to charge the device. I would clean it in water when using the ultrasonic cleaner. Why would it short the battery when it won't short when it's in normal water?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
To be perfectly honest with you, I can't answer your question.
Every manufacturer will use different methods of battery isolation.
Use in the shower is not 'waterproof'. A weather proof cctv camera is not waterproof.
I would play on the side of caution, and make sure the contacts are above the level of immersion. To be on the safe side.also allows different models and equipment to be cleaned.

Martin

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
There is are different kinds of waterproofedness. Something with good enough seals that it can be used in the shower might leak when submerged 1m or 3 m or more. Also, the pressure of water droplets in a shower are not the same as those from a garden hose, or fire hose. Depending on the power of the ultrasonic cleaner, the device seals might fail under that kind of high frequency assault.

ak