Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Use & Power 128 x 128 OLED Display with Conductive Thread

Cencyte

Oct 2, 2022
Hi all,

I am looking to connect 3-ply conductive thread to the GND, Vin, SCK and Data pins (I2C mode) of this 128 x 128 px grayscale OLED by Adafruit:
Grayscale OLED

Board: Teensy 4.0
OLED: SSD1327 Grayscale

The constraint is that I need this whole thing to go into a wearable (hoodie), so it should be as slim and low-profile as possible.

I am looking to connect as much as 4 feet of the thread, and I understand that there is a certain resistance per foot for the thread of about 10-16 Ohms that could be limiting the current that the OLED requires.

I have already tried what I'm describing (connecting the thread to the OLED), and the results were unsatisfactory: OLED power light turns on, SSD1327_test.ino successfully uploads and Serial confirms that the display has initialized. Sadly the display shows a blank screen, but when I use jumper wires it lights up and performs the test.

I'm thinking I could find a way to boost the current travelling through the wires,

OR

Use a different material than the thread,

OR...

You tell me!

Any guidance, questions, concerns, comments, advice, expertise, help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the wires run inside the hoodie what's the problem with using 'ordinary' wire which just happens to work?