Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using a PIR to both turn on and turn off LEDs

Looeewoo

Jan 4, 2024
I want to install lights under a low table, so that e.g. waving a hand underneath turns on the lights, and waving again would switch them off as opposed to the PIR timing out. I have seen a circuit using an Arduino, but I would like to be able to do this using standard components.
I'm very new to electronics so I don't have much of a clue on how to do this other than I suspect that the PIR would be set to single detect with low delay and would somehow be able to set a flag off and on by going high briefly.

Looeewoo

Jan 4, 2024

Or a latching relay.

Regards, Dana.
Hi Dana, thanks for the reply, but that thread only refers to switching off with PIR.
I'm looking for a solution where the PIR will act as both off-and-on.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You might be better off with a simple ‘clap’ switch. Clap and it turns on, clap again and it turns off.
A PIR will only turn on and time out. It’s just a switch with a timer.
You can of course have it switch off when activated too. But not both. The poor PIR won’t know whether it’s coming or going :)

danadak

Feb 19, 2021

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Your question needs more information.

What power source is available for the control circuit / latching relay / whatever?

Also, what are the power requirements for the LEDs? LED product page / datasheet?

I like latching relays, but they tend to be big and expensive. What is your skil set for assembling a small circuit on perf-board?

ak

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I want to install lights under a low table, so that e.g. waving a hand underneath turns on the lights, and waving again would switch them off as opposed to the PIR timing out.
Application needs a lot more thought on the operation.
Too many if's or but's.
All in all it raises more questions than answers.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Here you go buddy.
Infrared Touchless Hand Waving 12-24VDC 3A On/Off Sensor Switch for LED Lights, Cabinet Kitchen Closets Pantry, Avoid Catching Virus and Germs

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Probably operate on/off if one moves a leg, wacks a mosquito, dog scratches a flea or a gazillion other things also.