Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using CCFLs from broken laptop screens - how well matched do tubes and power supplies need to be?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I've taken apart some broken laptop screens to get the CCFLs and their power inverters. Most of the CCFLs are matched with their inverters but some came to me already separated. Are they likely to work with each other's inverters? Realistically, is a CCFL liable to explode with another CCFL's inverter? Also, how flexible is the input voltage likely to be? Inverters I see for sale specify input ranges like 10-30 V. If I increase the voltage, will it just reduce the current taken? Thanks! I'mma make a pretty light with these...

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
They run on high voltage and care should be taken using these outside of any casing otherwise you may just make more of a pretty light than you expect.
A much safer alternative is the LED version. One can buy these from Ebay ( 2 strings and a driver) for around Aus$15.00.

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
They run on high voltage and care should be taken using these outside of any casing otherwise you may just make more of a pretty light than you expect.
A much safer alternative is the LED version. One can buy these from Ebay ( 2 strings and a driver) for around Aus$15.00.

Thanks. I really want to use all these things I have lying around though (or else I'd just buy some light bulbs!)

I have one inverter which has just four input pins. For some reason one of the pins has a much wider conductor; does that hint at what it's function is?

I'm expecting VCC, GRN, ADJ (brightness) and ON/OFF inputs.

Edit: The inverter is from a Dell Latitude LS and is board model DA0SS2IVE7 REV:E. The eight-pin controller IC seems to have 3972 OAW on it. I can't find any datasheets though.

4Qc0Cuv.jpg

Last edited: