Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using external laptop battery charger under load (laptop turned on)

zvucnabasta

Sep 14, 2015
  • I reversed polarity on my laptop with second hand charger and it want charge the battery anymore, not repairable they said in service. Both fuses were fine as I checked with my multimeter. Laptop beside that works normally.(original charger output is rated at 19v and **3.95A)

• the battery is li-ion pack, model no: PA5024U-1BRS and rated at DC10.8V/10.8V , 48Wh/4200mAh

• So I bought external charger. this one. This one is rated(output) 20v and 1.5A~2A which is written on the charger itself. On the other hand, in a paper which came alongside charger it is rated at 7.2V~14.8V and maximum output current 2.5A

• I tried charger and it works fine despite the differences in specification(20v vs 7.2v~14.8v).
Lets say I connect in parallel charger and a battery and a laptop. What scenarios could I expect? I ask this because I do not want to invest in a new motherboard nor laptop and turning of a laptop every two hours to charge battery doesn't sound good neither.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
  • I reversed polarity on my laptop with second hand charger and it want charge the battery anymore, not repairable they said in service. Both fuses were fine as I checked with my multimeter. Laptop beside that works normally.(original charger output is rated at 19v and **3.95A)

• the battery is li-ion pack, model no: PA5024U-1BRS and rated at DC10.8V/10.8V , 48Wh/4200mAh

• So I bought external charger. this one. This one is rated(output) 20v and 1.5A~2A which is written on the charger itself. On the other hand, in a paper which came alongside charger it is rated at 7.2V~14.8V and maximum output current 2.5A

• I tried charger and it works fine despite the differences in specification(20v vs 7.2v~14.8v).
Lets say I connect in parallel charger and a battery and a laptop. What scenarios could I expect? I ask this because I do not want to invest in a new motherboard nor laptop and turning of a laptop every two hours to charge battery doesn't sound good neither.
You would end up drawing more current than expected which would damage the charger, requiring you to buy another one...
I don't see an easy solution to this at all. If this happened to one of my laptops, I'd settle with turning it off every 2 hours to charge, or bite the bullet and buy a netbook to use while I save up for a replacement laptop

zvucnabasta

Sep 14, 2015
My toshiba laptop(c870-17g) doesnt charge a battery anymore nor it works on a charger due to reversed polarity, not repairable they said. It works only on battery which I charge outside the laptop with external charger.
Charger is rated at 19v and **3.95A and
Battery is li-ion pack, model no: PA5024U-1BRS and rated at DC10.8V/10.8V , 48Wh/4200mAh
Question:
can I connect a voltage source supply with sufficient current output directly instead of a battery?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@zvucnabasta

I have moved your other thread to this one, since they are on the same topic

Dave