Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using Step-Up Boost Converter To Boost LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY Battery To 12 Volts

Kipon Mor

Sep 18, 2014
I am planning to buy a 12v battery for my ultrasonic inverter. 3S configuration with high AH value lithium-ion isn't cheap and availability is very scarce in my locality.
I came across "ORANGE Li-Fe 50Ah 3.2V LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY PACK" costing just under 40 USD. I want to if it is a good idea to use a step-up boost converter with this battery to output 12 volts to power my inverter? Are there any risks involved with this setup? Any cautionary measures to be taken care of? ? Suggestions, please? Thank you.

Link to the product: https://robu.in/product/orange-li-fe-50ah-3-2v-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-pack-lifepo4/

Battery.png

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
What input current does your inverter require? Allowing for boost converter inefficiencies, the battery pack will have to provide about five times that current. What is the rated maximum discharge current of the pack?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most or rather, all of these boost converters have a minimum voltage input.

As LiPo4 can go as low as 2v0 , most boost converters would be out of their minimum range.
Even at 3v2 same same.

Also what protection do you plan using to limit the voltage to it's recomended minimum level discharge.
That then brings up what you plan to charge it with and again what device for overcharge protection.

As far as the LiPo4 claim as having 6 to 8 times recycle life, that might be stretching things more than a bit.