Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using TP4056 outputs in parallel to make powerbank

SystemR

Dec 3, 2022
I've 4 18650 cells with exact same voltage and same discharge rate. I'm thinking of making a power bank. I'm planning to use 2 cells in parallel then make 2 packs and hook individual pack with 2 individual tp4056 module and then use a common type c to charge both module. Now, I want to take the outputs of tp4056 and connect them in parallel and finally hook this parallel outputs as a power bank circuits input. That way I can get 5v boosted voltage along with some auto cut off features. Will it work?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I want to take the outputs of tp4056 and connect them in parallel
The tp4056 is only a charger ic. There is no 5 V output to drive USB powered loads. I think what you are looking for is a power bank module, like this one, for example.

Even then:
Connecting power outputs in parallel is not as simple as it sounds. No two circuits are 100 % identical. Small differences in components lead to small differences in output voltages. This in turn will make the one supply with the higher voltage try to drive current into the one with the lower voltage. But power supplies are usually not made to have an input current at the output.
Paralleling power supplies is a science per se. Read e.g. this info.

In your application you can save a lot of hassle by paralleling the 4 lithium cells and use a single power bank module instead.