Maker Pro
Maker Pro

UV LED Exposure Box

ctrlfreak

Jun 20, 2012
Hi, i want to make an exposure box but i'm in a dilemma. Would it be better to use small 5mm uv leds? Like these? Or big 8mm high power leds? Like these. Even if i use 100 5mm leds still the watts are less than 10 big leds. How about the distance between the pcb and the leds and the time of the exposure.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
The larger one will be brighter, while the smaller will use less power, distance between PCB and LED's is not going to affect anyhting very much unless it is a HUGE distance

ctrlfreak

Jun 20, 2012
The distance i've read it will affect exposure time and i'm talking about centimeters. So will 10 high power leds do the job or should i use 20??

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Did you look at all at the output ratings (mcd). The small LEDs output 1000mcd, the large ones output 30000mcd. So 1 high power one will replace 30 of the small ones.

Bob

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
So 1 high power one will replace 30 of the small ones.

But, will have exponentially less exposure area...

If the wavelength is acceptable you would probably be better off using the UV florescent bulbs they use in finger nail curing machines... With a simple reflector you will get a better spread of light, using the florescent vs the focused beam from the LEDs... Size permitting you can get the complete nail curing devices for very reasonable...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
For the same price as the 10 high power leds i could buy 4 UV fluorescent bulbs but the wavelenght is 365nm. Should i buy the fluorescent bulbs?

Is the wavelength acceptable for your use? Also the fluorescent bulbs will need a ballast/starter to fire them up...

Not an endorsement but as I said if the size and wavelength works you can get a complete nail curing setup, plug it in and flip the switch, 4 bulbs and the driver included...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36W-UV-Nail...590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0264ddbe

ctrlfreak

Jun 20, 2012
The device is perfect except the ''SALON'' trademark! :p The price plus the shipping is 60$ cause i'm not a US citizen. I was thinking of using leds to avoid extra cost. About the wavelength i'm not sure if 365nm is the correct number, i guess it depends on the pcb specifications.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The device is perfect except the ''SALON'' trademark! :p The price plus the shipping is 60$ cause i'm not a US citizen. I was thinking of using leds to avoid extra cost. About the wavelength i'm not sure if 365nm is the correct number, i guess it depends on the pcb specifications.

That was only one example there are dozens of different nail curing designs like that...

For example these, no branding, 15 models to choose from and free shipping...

Again just one of 100s of Ebay auctions, and just a random selection from an Ebay search, no endorsement or recomendation...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36W-9W-UV-G...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20c456666b

As for the wavelength, that is probably something you really should figure out before you start ordering anything...

As for using LEDs to 'avoid cost' you still have to build the housing, make a power supply and wire it all up, you might save a bit but I suspect not much at the end of the day...

ctrlfreak

Jun 20, 2012
You are right!! I found many cheap! I'll search about the wavelenght and if 365nm is ok i'll buy one. Thank you!