Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Validity of equation

anacondaonline

May 5, 2018
I'm trying to solve this question from my book.

RPkA9Sh.jpg

Book has given this solution :

TmHEB8y.jpg

I don't understand that red marked part in the given solution.

Do you think book solution is correct? Could you please explain that red marked part. how did the book arrive to that from the earlier step? I'm stuck right at that part.

Need help.

anacondaonline

May 5, 2018
I have understood the above part. ..... book is using "*" definition there.

But I'm stuck in the next step. Is it a law ? which law ? Please see below
QfyLGF3.jpg

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
The book solution is correct, but the solution method is in error. They made a mistake at the place you cannot understand. The whole expression should be have a bar over it. They must have made another mistake later to get the correct answer. Two wrongs make it right.

Since the "*" means Exclusive OR, why not rewrite the equation as B(AB'+A'B)'+B'(AB'+A'B) and solve that instead?

I am enclosing a program I wrote some years ago to give the minterms of a logical expression.

Ratch

Attachments

• BOOLIT.ZIP
    4.7 KB · Views: 32

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
I have understood the above part. ..... book is using "*" definition there.

But I'm stuck in the next step. Is it a law ? which law ? Please see below
QfyLGF3.jpg

The book is correct here. It is a simple application of DeMorgan's Theorem.

Ratch

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
the solution method is in error.
I don't think so. The "*" in the task description is not the usual AND function. "*" is defined as A*B = AB + /A/B instead.
Assuming that AB means logical AND and "+" means logical OR, then "*" represents an Exclusive NOR.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think so. The "*" in the task description is not the usual AND function. "*" is defined as A*B = AB + /A/B instead.
Assuming that AB means logical AND and "+" means logical OR, then "*" represents an Exclusive NOR.

Did I not say in post #4 that the asterisk in that problem means XOR? I stand by my statement that the solution is correct, but the method contains an error.

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
The original question was how did the author arrive at the circled expression? It was done by multiple application of DeMorgan's Theorem, {When breaking an overbar, the operation enclosed by the overbar changes between AND / OR}.
Screenshot from 2018-05-15 10-46-37.png

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Too much time has been spent on this problem already. DeMorgan's theorem is unnecessary.

B*A*B
B*(A*B)
B(A*B)'+B'(A*B)
B(AB+A'B')+B'(AB'+A'B)
ABB+A'B'B+AB'B'+A'BB'
AB +0 +AB' +0
A(B+B')
A

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
The original question was how did the author arrive at the circled expression? It was done by multiple application of DeMorgan's Theorem, {When breaking an overbar, the operation enclosed by the overbar changes between AND / OR}.
View attachment 41099

DeMorgan's theorem is not necessary.

(A'B'+AB)'
1-(A'B'+AB) ; Complement of (A'B'+AB)
(A'B'+A'B+AB'+AB) - (A'B'+AB) ; 1 = (A'B'+A'B+AB'+AB)
A'B+AB'

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
DeMorgan's theorem is not necessary.
True; however, they do teach DeMorgan's Theorem for a reason. But one thing I was never taught is the use of the Boolean minus "-" operation. There is the AND gate, the OR gate, the NOT gate. Where does one get a MINUS gate?

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
True; however, they do teach DeMorgan's Theorem for a reason. But one thing I was never taught is the use of the Boolean minus "-" operation. There is the AND gate, the OR gate, the NOT gate. Where does one get a MINUS gate?

It is not a gate, it is an operation, like add or multiply. To complement any Boolean term or expression, just subtract it from "1". Just like you would complement a decimal number by subtracting it from "10". It corresponds to a K-map with the unmarked squares taken as the complement.

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
It corresponds to a K-map with the unmarked squares taken as the complement.
So you are offering a K-map as the solution to a Boolean equation. When has that ever been considered rigorous?

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
So you are offering a K-map as the solution to a Boolean equation. When has that ever been considered rigorous?

I am using the K-map as an explanation of why the subtraction of a Boolean term from "1" gives the complement of the term. The K-map is as rigorous as a slide rule is for what it does.

Ratch