Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vape Internal LED

Captain-Volt

Mar 26, 2023
Absolly new to electronics so please excuse me.
I have a tiny led that was inside a vape - it has 3 wires , red blue and black - have been trying to get it to light up connected to an AA battery but cannot get it to work - - any ideas?
Thank you.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Many LED's require a series current limiting resistor in order to work - they also require around 1.6 to 3V to work too. A single AA battery won't cut it but using two AA's will but a series resistor really should be used. They are sometimes built-in to LED's but without knowing the part number you have you have to assume worse case and use an external one else the LED will 'blow'.

Captain-Volt

Mar 26, 2023
Many LED's require a series current limiting resistor in order to work - they also require around 1.6 to 3V to work too. A single AA battery won't cut it but using two AA's will but a series resistor really should be used. They are sometimes built-in to LED's but without knowing the part number you have you have to assume worse case and use an external one else the LED will 'blow'.
Thank you!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
They are sometimes built-in to LED's but without knowing the part number you have you have to assume worse case and use an external one else the LED will 'blow
Almost!The LED will come on but you got to suck. It's a pressure switch.:cool:
Red blue and black!

photo_1680038101794.png

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Well... First thing I would do. If you have a rechargeable device, plug it into the charger. Pay attention to whether this causes any lights to come on. You may have a dud if the device’s LED remains out even when charging. We'll go from there. (I'm old school get some zig zags roll your own).Proper etiquette: Don't be a "Bogart"... puff puff pass .:cool:

Last edited:

Captain-Volt

Mar 26, 2023
Well... First thing I would do. If you have a rechargeable device, plug it into the charger. Pay attention to whether this causes any lights to come on. You may have a dud if the device’s LED remains out even when charging. We'll go from there. (I'm old school get some zig zags roll your own).Proper etiquette: Don't be a "Bogart"... puff puff pass .:cool:
Thank you!!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I have a tiny led that was inside a vape
I thought folks had stopped posting here about vapes... why did you take your vape apart? Most vapes use a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that produces about three volts when fully charged. Most LEDs require more voltage than a 1.5V AA cell can deliver. Try connecting two AA cells in series with a 100 ohm resistor and then connect this series-string of components to two wires of your device: red (+), blue (-); or red (+), black (-); or blue (+), black (-).

If you have a multimeter, check for continuity between pairs of those three wires. It may indeed require that the "pressure switch" (if that is what the device pictured actually is) be actuated if the LED chip (I presume it is the little yellow rectangular object near the top edge of the device shown in the photo) is hardwired in series with the switch. Sometimes vapes have LEDs that produce two colors, typically red and blue, to indicate charging and use states. Be sure to check all six combinations of pairs of wires using two AA cells plus a 100 ohm current-limiting resistor all connected in series. Make sure the polarity of the two AA cells is such that their voltages add to about three volts. If you have a spare LED, test the two AA cells plus current-limiting resistor with the spare LED to verify that you have this simple test rig connected properly.

Be careful playing with vapes. The high current at low voltages, delivered by the typical Li-ion battery, is also susceptible to dangerous short-circuits that can cause the battery to catch on fire or explode, especially if an incorrect charging circuit is used to charge the Li-ion battery. Commercial vape pens and vape battery boxes are relatively inexpensive, and most can be recharged with a USB cable connected to a wall-wart or a USB port on your computer. IMHO, there are much more interesting electronic projects than vapes.

outlawexotix80

Oct 30, 2023
Absolly new to electronics so please excuse me.
I have a tiny led that was inside a vape - it has 3 wires , red blue and black - have been trying to get it to light up connected to an AA battery but cannot get it to work - - any ideas?
Thank you.
9 volt battery using the blue and black wire works