Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Variable current power supply with varying duty cycle

Raiyan

Apr 4, 2018
I need to build a power supply whose voltage having limits 6v-45v and current ranging from 0.5- 5 amp can be changed according the need.
Plus it can also provide varying duty cycle
For example i want the power to be on for 23ms nd off for 2 ms , or on for 12ms nd off for 13ms and so , as per the testing requirement . How can i accomplish that? Any suggestions?
Can i use a solid state relay with any microcontroller to serve the latter part? By just just giving the on nd off commands in a loop after a certain delay in ms ?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
I think these are 2 different projects.

The power supply is one and the "duty cycle" will be an oscillator with adjustable duty cycle, which in turn drives a "driver" or "bridge".
Is your "power supply" to give a fixed power pulses or free running ?

Raiyan

Apr 4, 2018
I think these are 2 different projects.

The power supply is one and the "duty cycle" will be an oscillator with adjustable duty cycle, which in turn drives a "driver" or "bridge".
Is your "power supply" to give a fixed power pulses or free running ?

Yes, they are two different parts , u got that right . Once set the duty cycle it should be free running!
i have tried using LM317 as a voltage and current regulator , but not being able to incorporate the second part . Or i am trying to look for a single circuit that can do both the parts !
Please suggest something if you have an idea. How can i do it easily and efficiently

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I bought a dual power supply at a junk sale in 2009. This is analog and uses a pair of L200C chips, it controls voltage and current.
The L200C could perhaps be a basis of a switched mode supply

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
An LM317 is not going to do the job for you. It has a maximum input voltage less than your choice of output voltage (let alone the higher input voltage which would probably have to be 50V or so).

In addition, an LM317 had a maximum output current of 1A.

Even if you found a 5A adjustable regulator, at 6V at 5A the regulator would be dissipating more than 200W.

For the power supply itself, you would need a transformer rated at around 40V at 7A.

Then you would want to look at one of the many designs for current boost circuits for 3 terminal regulators. (Or better, roll your own with an op-amp, a voltage reference, and pass transistors).

Then you would want to add a circuit to provide a variable current limit (this is easier with a regulator not based on a 3 terminal regulator.

After you have that working, a circuit based on a 555, and a P channel mosfet can easily be designed to chop the output the way you want.

Raiyan

Apr 4, 2018
An LM317 is not going to do the job for you. It has a maximum input voltage less than your choice of output voltage (let alone the higher input voltage which would probably have to be 50V or so).

In addition, an LM317 had a maximum output current of 1A.

Even if you found a 5A adjustable regulator, at 6V at 5A the regulator would be dissipating more than 200W.

For the power supply itself, you would need a transformer rated at around 40V at 7A.

Then you would want to look at one of the many designs for current boost circuits for 3 terminal regulators. (Or better, roll your own with an op-amp, a voltage reference, and pass transistors).

Then you would want to add a circuit to provide a variable current limit (this is easier with a regulator not based on a 3 terminal regulator.

After you have that working, a circuit based on a 555, and a P channel mosfet can easily be designed to chop the output the way you want.
I mistakenly mentioned LM317 actually it was LM138 because even 30V was enough for me and current specification was more crucial .
I calculated the max power dissipation would be 100W according to my usage limits and can use a heat sink for that.
I got most of the things you mentioned, i just need more elaboration and help in the last 555 timer part .
even if i got a controlled DC voltage and current supply , how can i turn it into a square wave supply with adjustable on and off time ??

Raiyan

Apr 4, 2018
I bought a dual power supply at a junk sale in 2009. This is analog and uses a pair of L200C chips, it controls voltage and current.
The L200C could perhaps be a basis of a switched mode supply
I checked L200C but it doesn't meet my power requirements! Outputs upto 2Amps only

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
What kind of application are you going to use this power supply for?

Raiyan

Apr 4, 2018
What kind of application are you going to use this power supply for?
Basically it is needed to power the Electromagnet . Its actually a research topic and we need to test different readings on different current and duty cycle