Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VCR Cover Causing Noise

arvin reiss

Feb 27, 2018
I had noise and could not find a source. Then realized that with the cover off this noise disappears. It causes tracking errors. Repeated numerous times. Lid does not have to be touching unit; hovering over it causes this noise. Very very strange. Sony SLV 595 HF.

arvin reiss

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you.
What would I do about that, if it is?
I adjusted the tracking, and it got better even with the cover. Then I tried to adjust other things even more, and now it doesn't track at all.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Although most VCR's appear to have only 2 mains feed-wires, I found that earthing the cover of my JVC HR-J657-MS via a cover-screw to a cold-water feed eliminated occasional noisy video streaks that would appear on playback or recordings.
Whether this was outside interference or internal noise is unknown, but it worked.
The electrical earth-wire was run from bathroom (hose-clamped to bare-scraped steel pipe) to my lounge earth-bar-hidden-behind-a-sofa, intended for a soldering ground-point.
EDIT:
As for the tracking, my limited VCR work would suggest that you may have mis-aligned heads beyond limits, meaning you would need signal generators and/or oscilloscope etc to re-align again.
This may involve taking it in to a video tech.
Somewhere in my collection of books and scans, I have notes on VCR service, so if I come across relevant info, will add another post.
Perhaps other members are more VCR tracking savvy than YT....

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
First thing I'd check is if the cover is dented-in from having something heavy on top of the recorder.
Sounds like the cover may be rubbing against the moving parts internally(?)