Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Very Simple LED Light Project

IsraDrum

Feb 2, 2014
Hello. I have a "Berkey Light" water filter with a regular base. They sell a special LED lamp base which is just a few LEDs and a power supply for a whopping $91. I want my son to build the LED part for our base (which is just a plastic shell, i.e. empty inside) as his electronics project.

I bought a silly little LED "flashlight" meant as a toy for a child for 25 cents and gave it to him plus some old power supply (for a cordless phone or some such) that I had lying around. He took apart the toy to remove the LED and then exposed the wires at the end of the power supply, connected it and watched the LED burn up. :)

Then I got more involved and concluded that the power supply is 9 volts and the LED works off of L736 button batteries which are 1.5 volts.

So I figure we can either find 9 volt LEDs or a 1.5 volt power supply. One other issue is that we live in Israel so it's not so easy to find all these things.

I did find this universal AC/DC converter now. The site is in Hebrew but you can see that the machine settings are in English and can be set to 1.5 volts. The L736 batteries appear to be 43mAh and this power supply is 300mAh but I think that's OK.

So someone please correct me as it's been a long time since I took my electronics courses but it should be fine to take this universal AC/DC converter and find a male "input" thing from an old cordless phone or router or whatever and wire it to a few of these LED lights (in series not parallel I think) and then we will have what we need to put inside the base of our water filter.

The universal AC/DC converter will cost me about $13 USD and each LED is about a quarter. For $15 I think we will have built this $91 toy. :)

Thank you!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Lol steve you keep selling that one, but it is rather good.:)