Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Very Small Transformer

assafelbaz

Nov 1, 2011
Hi everyone.

I need help with my project. My current power supply made of a 120V to 5V (500mA).
It is a huge adapter and i can't really build it on my PCB.

My question is, where can i find a very small transformer? (the other parts are easily found).
Is there a name for that?

Apple's (also a duplicates one) has a small transformer inside their USB power adapter (13.5mm x 13.5mm x 6mm), crazy! It is 100V-240V 0.15A to 5V 1A adapter.

Please tell me where to start or where can i find it. The price is not a matter here.

Thank you.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi assafelbaz.
Welcome from me.
Whats in the usb adapter is probably a small transformer, a small laminated transformer with 120 volts or 240 volts primary and 5 volts 500 milliamps secondary is not all that big.

You should be able to find a unit small enough, if its for a regulated supply you need it a few volts more than 5 volts to allow for rectification and regulating, say 9 volts AC output at 500 milliamps.
Dave. :)
PS. smaller units like the plug in ones might be switch mode power supplys, very different from a laminated transformer.

assafelbaz

Nov 1, 2011
Thank you guys for the info. :)

I see the Recom products now and it seems like the best option. It isn't so expensive ($15-$18) for my purpose, and it gives 100% solution.

If someone have more offers i will be glad to hear.

Thank you again.

assafelbaz

Nov 1, 2011
I found the name for all the small transformers (very small ones), which are used in this kind of power supplies.

Flyback Transformer

It is micro small transformers. Check it on Newark.com.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
glad to help! indeed Flyback Transformer are smaller but not intended to be connected directly to the main. They are not made with laminated iron but magnetic alloy and are part of a larger circuit (alike the one include in the recom module) and they use higher frequency then 50/60 Hz.