Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VFD for the air blower

RobertWW

May 23, 2020
Dear All,

I need to provide a source of the airflow to my experiments. The range of air velocities that I need is 2m/s to 20m/s. A source of airflow (I think it will be an air blower) will need to be powerful enough to overcome some significant resistances, given to the airflow by physical obstacles (therefore, fans may not be suitable for my experiments).

I think about purchase of this device
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blower-Extract...

This device has adjustment of the airflow velocity, but for some experiments, I will need pretty low velocities (beyond a regular spec of this or similar devices). Therefore, I am looking for ways of extra adjustment of such blower speed.

I came across the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive).
- I wonder whether control of the linked blower by VFD will work in order to get velocities as low as 2m/s.
- I also wonder whether application of VFD is the most optimum solution for reduction of air blower speed.

Any advice and help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Regards.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
VFDs are generally designed to drive a 3-phase motor. That blower is a single phase motor. The internal speed control is likely a thyrister control similar to lamp dimmers.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Universal motor device.
Requires a Triac phase angle controller.
M.

RobertWW

May 23, 2020
Thank you for your kind replies. I will check Triac type controller.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The motor of the blower may not operate well at very low rpm. Have you considered adjusting airflow by means of an adjustable bypass? This lets the motor operate at higher rpm where it feels comfortable. You adjust airflow to your test rig by simply opening or closing a bypass vent to reduce or increase airflow.