Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VHF Radio (s) problem.

Jimske

Mar 10, 2013
Radio installed on boat, powered up, worked then nothing. Powers up but no TX or RX. No sound, no squelch, nothing?? Bought a new radio - same problem. At first I thought I might have turned the volume up but - nah! Could this be an antennae problem? Antennae on the mast is firm and coaxial connections all seem tight.

I suspect a voltage spike from the panel. I did find out that the regulator on the OB was not regulating and overcharging system thereby blowing out the radio speaker. The regulator was replaced. Anyway that is the only thing I can think of.

So the only thing I am capable of doing (maybe) is replacing the speaker in the radio and seeing if that works.

I took the speaker out of the Midland Model Regatta II but so far cannot find a replacement. The back of the speaker says "DXI" then 40N-E and is 8 ohm 2.0 W.

Any help finding a replacement speaker would be appreciated. Any other suggestions welcome as well.

Jim

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Jim
welcome to the forums :)

firstly you need to back up a bit before you start pulling things apart ...
The chances of 2 speakers failing just like that are very remote and you need to confirm what is really going on.

Firstly, can you put the radios onto a 13.8V DC ~ 5 Amp supply on the bench at home.
Then, do you have a power meter and a dummy load ? you need to confirm if the TX has really failed
What rated TX power does the radio have?
When you push the PTT button on the mic, does the needle on the power meter move? is there a LED TX indicator on the radio ?
Is there a meter on the radio that shows TX and RX signal strengths ?

You need to confirm all these things
.... just saying its the speaker may be the least of your worries

Dave

Jimske

Mar 10, 2013
hi Jim
welcome to the forums :)

firstly you need to back up a bit before you start pulling things apart ...
The chances of 2 speakers failing just like that are very remote and you need to confirm what is really going on.

Firstly, can you put the radios onto a 13.8V DC ~ 5 Amp supply on the bench at home.
Then, do you have a power meter and a dummy load ? you need to confirm if the TX has really failed
What rated TX power does the radio have?
When you push the PTT button on the mic, does the needle on the power meter move? is there a LED TX indicator on the radio ?
Is there a meter on the radio that shows TX and RX signal strengths ?

You need to confirm all these things
.... just saying its the speaker may be the least of your worries

Dave
Too late with the Midland because I already took the speaker out. The other radio is on the boat. I am over my head here. You are right - mistake taking it apart.

If you think it remote for two speakers to blow from an over load of the outboard then I ??? Well, I can hook up the other radio on the boat and try to figure out what the problem could be and I may have to bring someone else in who knows what they're doing.

In a couple weeks when the snow melts and I am down the boat I may ask on how to go about tracking the problem down but for now I think I am stuck.

Thanks for trying.

Jim

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You can still do all those tests listed above - even on the radio with no spkr

Dave

Jimske

Mar 10, 2013
You can still do all those tests listed above - even on the radio with no spkr

Dave
OK, then can I just hook the leads to a battery. Do I need a fuse or can I just clamp it on? How do I put a load on the radio?

Jim

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A dummy load looks like a plug for the antenna socket, but (often) has a black finned heatsink at the back rather than a wire coming out.

Needless to say, you won't have one.

Connect an antenna (preferably the one that came with the radio) and place it somewhere as far away from you as possible. That will correctly load the radio's output.

It is preferable you place a fuse in line with the power to the radio. It should already have one in its power lead.

Make sure you connect it up the right way. Red wire to +ve, black wire to -ve.

Jimske

Mar 10, 2013
A dummy load looks like a plug for the antenna socket, but (often) has a black finned heatsink at the back rather than a wire coming out.

Needless to say, you won't have one.

Connect an antenna (preferably the one that came with the radio) and place it somewhere as far away from you as possible. That will correctly load the radio's output.

It is preferable you place a fuse in line with the power to the radio. It should already have one in its power lead.

Make sure you connect it up the right way. Red wire to +ve, black wire to -ve.
So then I guess I will have to do it on the boat where the antennae is. Going to be a week or so when the snow melts.

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Using the antenna fitted to the boat has the possible problem associated with it that the antenna may be damaged. Just something to be aware of. Check the cable and connections to make sure they're in good condition and haven't been "altered" after manufacture.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you powered your transmit with the antenna not hooked-up at any point, you may
have blown your final output transistors. You can run all the tests suggested above,
but as davenn noted, you probably didn't blow the speakers.
You're probably going to have to end up taking the radio to a shop for check-out, but
the critical thing here, would be to make sure your input power doesn't have spikes
(is regulated), and that your antenna system is hooked-up and SWR is within reason.