Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Videonics Equalizer (VE-1) RGB colorizer issue - help on fix

doodark

Sep 24, 2014
Hello,
I've got two videonics equalizers from the US that both have an issue with the colorizers. The colorizer sliders should tint the entire image, but although they do change the image, it appears only more faded or darker in grayscale. There's no change of colour whatsoever.

Demo video i took of the issue:
How it should be functioning: http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=bdmWLlMfA5s&p=n#/57;104

I've checked I am using the right USA to UK transformer and polarity etc, so its definitely an internal issue.

Can anyone could give me some pointers on what might need replacing in terms of parts (see pic of internal)? or point me in the direction o a video hardware electronics repair service in London, UK?

Ive included some pics of the circuit board.. Any advice is very much appreciated

256z8ll.jpg

1zw29hk.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This unit seems to have beeen made for NTSC signals. In the UK you probably have PAL. The unit may not be compatible with PAL:

doodark

Sep 24, 2014
Thanks so much Harald for your response.
I hadn't realized this could cause such a dramatic difference in colour, but it would make sense considering Im having this issue with both boxes. Do you think a convertor as simple as this could fix the issue? If I have a PAL signal going into the equalizer and want one to come out too, presumably i'll be needing two.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You will need at least one of them to provide an NTSC signal to the converter. If your Monitor or TV supports NTSC, you will not need a second on (NTSC back to PAL) on the output. You will, however, require a second one if the Monitor or TV does not support NTSC.
Note that the quality of the signal decreases with each conversion.

There's one catch: If you input PAL to the converter, I wonder that it outputs any color signal at all. These converters aer not really cheap. Do you perchance happen to know someone who has NTSC equipment (VCR, DVD or similar plus an NTSC compatible monitor) which you can use to verify correct operation of the video converter? Maybe someone you know who brought his equipment from the USA?

doodark

Sep 24, 2014
Unfortunately I cant think of anyone who has anything like this I can test with, so I'll have to just buy one and see. Good news is: having just checked my TV and manual, it does have an NTSC mode :) i cant see how to activate this mode, but it seems as long as the input is AV, it should work as an output. I'll just have to see whether this convertor can manage to convert PAL>NTSC in effectively. I'll post my results and the convertor type i use in case it helps anyone else.
Thanks so much for solving the mystery for me - Ive been banging my head against a brick wall for weeks and was about to give up ..!