Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ViewSonic Monitor

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
Hi Guys (& Dolls if any),

I have a ViewSonic Monitor VA1703WB-2 that was playing up, turning off periodically and turning back on spontaneously or by pressing one of the monitor buttons only to turn off again. Buttons often did not work as they are supposed to so that to turn it back on, I had to press another button other than the power button.

One fine day the monitor went completely dead. It showed no sign of life whatsoever.

I searched the internet and electrolytic capacitors are invariably faulted. I opened the monitor up but all capacitors look absolutely fine. I replaced all the 470uF ones (6 of them) because that is all I could replace but have no meter to test the 3 remaining ones on the power board. The other board likewise looks fine.

The power cord is OK (no issue with that as it works ok with another device. I also checked the time-lag fuse in and off the circuit board. That too appears OK.

Can someone help me trouble shoot this monitor to see what could be wrong with it?

I am not so much into electronics and know only rudimentary stuff from what I learnt in Physics and from personal interest in the subject now and again as I attempt to learn on the fly when trying to repair things that go bust.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mark

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This sounds like it could be an issue with the buttons themselves or with (possibly?) a cable running from the PCB where the buttons are located to the main pcb.
Check the solder joints on the buttons, check the solder joints on any connectors (if there are any). Check the cables and the connectors for visible defects. Show us good photos.

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
Spot on!!!!! Mr Kapp - I'm truly Impressed. There was a lose connection and a broken PCB thread at this connection to one of the pins on the connector. See photo. It is the second pin of the bottom row (right extremity of the board) which I managed to bridge over with some solder. I also touched up a few spots that looked a bit dodgy. Monitor back in business!

Many thanks. All the capacitors I bought will have to await another repair job I guess. ;)

Mark20170505_131522.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Great,
I'm glad this was so easy to fix.
Enjoy your monitor :D

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
I have another issue with another monitor of a different make. I shall open another thread for that.

Thanks once again